Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Pro Hunter FX >

Thompson Pro Hunter FX

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Pro Hunter FX

Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thompson Pro Hunter FX

My buddy just picked up one a Pro Hunter FX. Will this shoot the Bh-209 powder? I fixed him up with 90,100,110 gr charges to try and gave him some winchester 209A(blue box) primers. He is shooting 250gr shockwaves.
Anyone have any experience with BH-209 in this riffle?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Yes it will shoot BH209 , I have not shot it in the Fixed Action but have in the Encore. I have been eyeing it for a purchase myself, Cabelas has it on sale for 499 right now.

That bullet should be fine and those charges would be a good place to start. Keep me posted how she shoots.
Steve
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Spike

I have an FX and am shooting 100gr oh BH209, with a 250gr Barnes T-EZ bullet in a black Crushrib harvester sabot. Very accurate load thus far, just be sure to clean every couple shots while sighting in to keep consistency.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by adrucker
I have an FX and am shooting 100gr oh BH209, with a 250gr Barnes T-EZ bullet in a black Crushrib harvester sabot. Very accurate load thus far, just be sure to clean every couple shots while sighting in to keep consistency.
Hmmm, I thought the advantage of this powder was you did not have to swab between shots?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't have to swab between shots. It seems to me one would never have to clean the barrel when shooting BH. After 35 shots through a barrel not cleaned, the sabot loads the same as it does after 2 shots. What does happen, is the flame channel of the breech plug begins to close, because of a hard carbon build. Note, the flash hole doesn't clog at all, and only grows larger with each shot.

Even though cleaning isn't necessary whilst shooting BH, it is necessary after shooting BH. The residue will lead to rust in the barrel if left.