Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Help me with a decision >

Help me with a decision

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me with a decision

Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Help me with a decision

I am honestly considering purchasing another in-line. I was handling them this past weekend at Cabelas and I believe I've narrowed it down to two rifles. Both are stainless with camo stocks. The models are the CVA Accura or the Traditions Vortec LDR. Either model will be topped with the Leupold Ultraslam scope with firedot.
Which would you pick and why.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I am honestly considering purchasing another in-line. I was handling them this past weekend at Cabelas and I believe I've narrowed it down to two rifles. Both are stainless with camo stocks. The models are the CVA Accura or the Traditions Vortec LDR. Either model will be topped with the Leupold Ultraslam scope with firedot.
Which would you pick and why.
Really neither of the two (I am just not a break open fan - just to old), but if given that choice I would easily go with the Accura - I think it is the far more proven rifle. Several folks on this forum have a lot of praise for it.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I refuse to discuss the purchase of any gun with a camo stock.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
but if given that choice I would easily go with the Accura - I think it is the far more proven rifle. Several folks on this forum have a lot of praise for it.
I'd have to agree with this statement.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Of the two it would be the Accura. I handled the Vortex today and was not impressed with it. Had to go to the big city for my annual run and stopped at a sporting goods store to look for some .40 caliber SSTs or Shockwaves. They of course did not have them. And our Wal Mart don't carry muzzleloading supplies anymore. But the sporting goods store did have a number of Traditions rifles, so of course I had to ogle them. That Vortex had a long barrel on it. Actually of all the rifles I handled today, there was an Omega that got my attention. Until I saw the price tag. They have got to be kidding. But then this place don't sell a lot of rifles. Mostly powder and projectiles.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've owned a Vortek UL, and an Accura V2. I feel the Accura is a better built gun. Very accurate, and a great trigger.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
I refuse to discuss the purchase of any gun with a camo stock.
And this my good friends is from a partially sane individual who has a nasty habit of scoping sidelocks.

Sabot, I like the break opens. Easier for me with my gorilla fingers to install and remove primers. I am leaning toward the Accura.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I owed an Accura, I handled the Traditions . Out of those 2 the Accura would be the hands down winner but I personally wouldn't buy either one . To many better quality guns out there . No need to spend good money on a Traditions or CVA . But if you must then get the Accura

Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

sharpshooter - I owned an Optima before and I liked it. Honestly I do not believe there is a better gun out there than a CVA - for the money. More expensive, definately. I refuse to pay $600+ for a ML. And as much as I like T/C sidelocks, I won't shell out the money for the overpriced Triumph or Encore. The CVA will shoot right along side them and likely outshoot them for a lot less money. I had an Encore when they first came out and it sucked in the accuracy dept.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the last year i have purchase 2 Omega on clearance at reduced prices. Too bad you didn't purchase either of these rifle; they are really really fine. Both are super accurate, and good to 300 yard. Just now i looked around the net, and couldn't find a good buy on any Omega. I will not part with any of my Omega, but i do have a Triumph listed in the classified that may be a good buy for you. There is also a couple of Accura listed that may be a good buy for you. All three of these rifle are in excellent condition.

If it were me, i would suck it up, and pay the price for this X7, however, it is a lot of money. Mine have excellent trigger, shoot straight, carry nicely, etc. Wood stock is a plus to me; i like the way it feels.

TC rifle have steel sling swivel; some others have plastic swivel cast as part of the stock. TC rifle have crisp breaking trigger without creep. Whenever, i am shooting the TC rifle; just after it fires i have zero thoughts about what happened at the instant of ignition i.e. i have no recall of the trigger.

Of the two choices you asked about, i cannot comment on the Traditions; i have never held one. I do own 3 Accura. One, is worn out; one has never been fired. All 3 Accura have some creep in the trigger, which isn't bad, but it is there. After pulling the trigger on the Accura, i remember squeezing the trigger through the creep. They are decent rifle, but...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.