Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bear Opens 1 Sept

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our Bear Season was opened in our area of the county a couple of years ago. I had my first encounter with a bear the season befor last. I was sitting in a clear cut when I heard a deer snort and come running through the red brush in front of me. I pulled back the hammer and got ready, I figured a buck was comming chasing a doe. Boy was I Surprised when the doe ran out and following behind her was a big male black bear, all I did was look in awe it was the first real live bear I ever saw while hunting.
That year when I saw the bear we could'nt hunt them untill after the first week of gun season passed so even if I decided for a shot I could'nt take it anyway. The bear numbers have really shot up in our county as they were off limits for so long and now there's a-lot of them. I even see them right out my window on occasion when Im at my computer.
Now I've only tried bear 2 times, it was ok but now that we can shoot a bear on opening day of Bow or gun season Im not sure if I really want to take one or not if I get the chance. For one I dont know how to cook it or properly field dress one. The other is were not allowed to shoot a bear in a group of bears and were not allowed to shoot a cub. So If I see a single bear I'd be afraid it was'nt a male and pass on it. I'd want to be 100% sure it was a male and a big one. I just dont have enough experience with bears and knowing them.
So for now I'll just enjoy seeing them and the more time I spend in the field hopefully will help me know what's what.
Any tips on how's the best way to cook one and do's and dont's with field dressing one?
(BP)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Our Bear Season was opened in our area of the county a couple of years ago. I had my first encounter with a bear the season befor last. I was sitting in a clear cut when I heard a deer snort and come running through the red brush in front of me. I pulled back the hammer and got ready, I figured a buck was comming chasing a doe. Boy was I Surprised when the doe ran out and following behind her was a big male black bear, all I did was look in awe it was the first real live bear I ever saw while hunting.
That year when I saw the bear we could'nt hunt them untill after the first week of gun season passed so even if I decided for a shot I could'nt take it anyway. The bear numbers have really shot up in our county as they were off limits for so long and now there's a-lot of them. I even see them right out my window on occasion when Im at my computer.
Now I've only tried bear 2 times, it was ok but now that we can shoot a bear on opening day of Bow or gun season Im not sure if I really want to take one or not if I get the chance. For one I dont know how to cook it or properly field dress one. The other is were not allowed to shoot a bear in a group of bears and were not allowed to shoot a cub. So If I see a single bear I'd be afraid it was'nt a male and pass on it. I'd want to be 100% sure it was a male and a big one. I just dont have enough experience with bears and knowing them.
So for now I'll just enjoy seeing them and the more time I spend in the field hopefully will help me know what's what.
Any tips on how's the best way to cook one and do's and dont's with field dressing one?
(BP)

Field dressing is like any other big game animal except they're bears. Up the belly, take out the gut, heart, lungs, remove the colon etc.

Skin them once, then skin em again to get all of the fat off them. I cut roasts from the hinds, shoulders, neck and grind the rest for sausages. I don't like bear steak so it's all roasts and burger for me.

Main thing is get as much of the fat off them as possible. When cooking I cook them low and slow in a Dutch Oven with some water in the bottom, a few carrots, garlic clove or two and celery to add more flavour to the steam @ 250'F, 3 - 7 hrs depending on its size. Season with a half pkg of Onion Soup Mix and pepper. I keep the meat elevated on a rack.

Sausages, any type you like with 25% pork fat. I hear bear makes a real good pepperette but I'm not a fan of them either.

Make your gravy from something else, don't use the drippings.

HA
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm just busting on you, but I can't agree with this.

"All hunting is done over a bait of some sort. "

Figured,

But if there wasn't some type of atttractant, like food, water, sleep or sex, what reason would there be for an animal to be in that area?

HA
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if you don't bait them to be there, and go to them. They would be there if you were there or not. How could you have baited them?

In other words you go to them without knowing where they'll be.

Hardly the same as putting down food, and waiting for them to come to it.

I'm not talking about sitting on a waterhole, or calling them in, but just going out and finding them, and then sneaking up for a shot.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if you don't bait them to be there, and go to them. They would be there if you were there or not. How could you have baited them?

In other words you go to them without knowing where they'll be.

Hardly the same as putting down food, and waiting for them to come to it.

I'm not talking about sitting on a waterhole, or calling them in, but just going out and finding them, and then sneaking up for a shot.

If you were to do that here you would be a pretty hungry hunter.
I have seen exactly two bears in the bush around these parts that weren't baited. Both were seen during deer drives. Given a bear has a home range of over 10 miles in thick bush without hounds or bait, your odds of actually seeing a bear would be mighty slim. I'd sooner put in for the draw for a unicorn hunt.

HA
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntAway
Field dressing is like any other big game animal except they're bears. Up the belly, take out the gut, heart, lungs, remove the colon etc.

Skin them once, then skin em again to get all of the fat off them. I cut roasts from the hinds, shoulders, neck and grind the rest for sausages. I don't like bear steak so it's all roasts and burger for me.

Main thing is get as much of the fat off them as possible. When cooking I cook them low and slow in a Dutch Oven with some water in the bottom, a few carrots, garlic clove or two and celery to add more flavour to the steam @ 250'F, 3 - 7 hrs depending on its size. Season with a half pkg of Onion Soup Mix and pepper. I keep the meat elevated on a rack.

Sausages, any type you like with 25% pork fat. I hear bear makes a real good pepperette but I'm not a fan of them either.

Make your gravy from something else, don't use the drippings.

HA
Thank's for the good advice HuntAway
(BP)
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HuntAway
If you were to do that here you would be a pretty hungry hunter.
I have seen exactly two bears in the bush around these parts that weren't baited. Both were seen during deer drives. Given a bear has a home range of over 10 miles in thick bush without hounds or bait, your odds of actually seeing a bear would be mighty slim. I'd sooner put in for the draw for a unicorn hunt.

HA
Unicorns can be tricky.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unicorns can be tricky.
They are!!!

The real hard part is getting close enough to wack them with a pillow. I hear they can be baited in close with pink cotton candy.

HA
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well,

the water becomes the bait. probably even more so than a bait pile especially in dry years. i guess if i lived in beautiful canyon country stalking would be the norm. where im heading in Maine next week is miles of swamp bottom where couldnt see 2 feet in front of you.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I mostly hunt heavy timber.

So, you only take 2 ft shots?