Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Barnes and Lihigh/Bloodline >

Barnes and Lihigh/Bloodline

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes and Lihigh/Bloodline

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Spike

Default Barnes and Lihigh/Bloodline

Sabotloader , I saw were you posted that you shoot the Lehigh/Bloodline bullet only for hunting.
My question is ,Which of the bullets shot the best out of you 50cal Knight muzzleloaders the 250/275/300 and have you ever tested the Lehigh/Bloodline against the Barnes 250/290 tmz?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by W.W.
Sabotloader , I saw were you posted that you shoot the Lehigh/Bloodline bullet only for hunting.
My question is ,Which of the bullets shot the best out of you 50cal Knight muzzleloaders the 250/275/300 and have you ever tested the Lehigh/Bloodline against the Barnes 250/290 tmz?
For myself all of the bullets shoot very well. If I were hunting deer even big muleys like we have here the 250 would do the job all day. It is my personal belief the 275 is the best all-around bullet of the 3 and would be the bullet I might use most often while deer hunting with a thought in my mind I might also cross the path of a elk. The 300 is and has been my go-to bullet for elk since the Nosler Partition option is basically gone. Even then with the animals that I have harvested with all four Lehigh bullets (including the 40-200) if given the option between NoslerPartition or Lehigh/Bloodline - I would choose the Lehigh/Bloodline.

To be truly honest with you, I have not shot enough Barnes bullets to make a judgement. The only thing I can tell you from the information I have ready they are a very good bullet. My resistance to using them is because the Nosler performed so well for me in the past at all ranges. An independent study in Field and Stream that I read compared the premium bullets showed that the Noslers expanded over a wider range of velocities than did the Barnes.

It is really hard to compare the two bullets (Barnes- Lehigh/Bloodline) other the terminal results on an animal because the two bullets work differently. Barnes using the conventional 'controlled mushrooming' theory and the Lehigh/Bloodline using German munition theory of 'controlled fragmentation' with a bullet core remaining intacked for maximum penetration. This 'controlled fragmentation' thing is very difficult for us old mushroomers to grasp. The Europeans are far ahead of us on that one.

Since I guess I have skirted the real question... i would say of the bullets you listed including the Barnes offerings and for general hunting I would be inclined to grab the 275 grain DOA's

And please remember thse are just my thoughts..

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-14-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I have a few projects that I have been working on for some time and I need to get a load and bullet that will work for each gun .
One is a Shadow gray th stocked 50cal LRH and the other is a LK-93 stock that was rebarreled with a SS little horn 50cal barrel assembly.
Here is some of my other muzzleloaders and there load's
SS 50cal th Master hunter likes110gr of T7 and a Barnes 250TMZ bullet
SS 45cal th Extreme likes 150gr of T7 pellets and a 175 Barnes bullet
SS 45cal Elite like 110gr of BH209 and a Barnes 195gr bullet
Blued 50cal LK-93 Wolverine likes 90gr of Goex and a 260gr knight bullet