Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clearance Sale Omega >

Clearance Sale Omega

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clearance Sale Omega

Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Clearance Sale Omega

This rifle i purchased because it was reduced for clearance, and had a wood stock. At the time i had no use for it, but the wood stock made the purchase necessary. Recently i realized i needed this rifle, because an X7 was ruined. The day before yesterday a scope was mounted, and yesterday i took it up and kinda zeroed the scope. This morning the target was first located at 200 yard, and 2 shots taken from the clean cold barrel. The load was 110g BH, 300g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, W209 primer.

It seemed prudent to photograph the target, so i walked about 500 yard to and from the target. Temperature was 54*, and it was a nice walk, even wearing shorts and t-shirt.

The rings are quick release so for to exchange scopes easily. For muzzy season the scope will need to be 1X. Four more shots were taken. The first shot was a way right, but fourth, and fifth were in the black. Six i wanted to be in the black, but no. When finished here the temperature was 53*

The 200 yard shooting was satisfactory, so i drove about 4 mile away, and set up a 300 yard target. By this time a breeze had begun. It seemed kinda foolish to try 300 yard shooting because of the breeze, and because the bullets would have slowed to near the speed of sound, but i gave it a try. Well, well, the wind pushed the bullet far enough over so it hit the steel frame of the target holder, and knocked the whole shebang over.

Photos show the bullet after hitting steel @ 300 yard.

Then i drove back to where i had been shooting before, and shot twice at 100 yard.

A move was made to 200 yard, and 3 shots taken. The breeze was left to right.

When the rifle was cleaned for the initial shooting a couple day ago, i didn't replace the new breech plug. The new plug was exchanged with one that had worn at both ends. The worn flash hole was replaced with a stainless vent liner, and the flame cut primer seat was cut deeper, and now an o-ring is used.

The last photo shows the rifle with a 1X scope just now mounted. And now you know what the next task will be.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

nice rifle and great shooting. That Omega is a good gun from all I have read. I personally don't own one though.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Got to love those Omegas. Mine really likes 110 gr of BH209, Winchester 209 primers and about anything I stuff down the barrel. I've been going to put a thumbhole laminate stock on it and top it with a 4x12 or 4x14 scope just to do some long distance shooting. Now it looks like I'll have to get this done a little sonner. Thanks and great shooting.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by cayugad
nice rifle and great shooting. That Omega is a good gun from all I have read. I personally don't own one though.
Now that's unacceptable, fortunately for you I have an idea

Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Spike

I have a 50 Cal Omega that shoots Buffalo Bullets "old" 375 Gr Boat Tail Spitzer/Sabot bullet really well, under 1/2 inch at 100 yards, but I am nearly out of them. I need some help locating some of them that I could buy or trade for.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Spike

I found that 54 cal pellets will fit and work fine in 50 cal rifles. The benefit to me was that they come in 60 gr pellets. when I loaded 3x50 grain pellets my accuracy suffered to the point that the increase in velocity was useless. The increase from 2x60 grain pellets was substantial with virtually no increase in group size.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have that exact same gun (no doubt purchased on the same clearance) and aside from stock/action fit issues that I need to take care of, it is the best muzzy that I have ever had!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems, i do recall you purchasing the exact same rifle i did. You sold your Mountaineer to do so i think. My clearance Omega does shoot straighter than my Mountaineer, and it is shorter, lighter, and not as pretty.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good looking rifle not to mention and fine shooter, congratulations
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Ron, what size o-ring is that and where did you get it. I want to give that a try in my Omega. Did you notice a big difference in blow back? How long do they usually last?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.