HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   My son is getting ready with the Hot Rod Renegade. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/368502-my-son-getting-ready-hot-rod-renegade.html)

idahoron 08-11-2012 05:31 PM

My son is getting ready with the Hot Rod Renegade.

My son drew a ML Deer tag and he Drew a ML antelope tag. The same tag I had a couple years ago. We have both been very excited to see him get these hunts. Today we went out to let him shoot. The Rifle is the Hot Rod Renegade. That rifle is actually his gun. I have shot it so much that I forget that I only borrow it. Any way, the gun is always sighted in so him practicing is the only real work.

Today I wanted him to walk around and shoot off sticks. So we set up the steel gong and went at it. His first shot was 89 yards. I picked that because that was the yardage I shot my antelope. He got ready and shot, the report back was good it was a solid hit. The next shot was 118 yards. The gun was not cleaned. He set the sight and took the shot, another solid hit. So we loaded the gun again no cleaning. The next shot was 130 yards. It took a while to get the results but it was another solid hit. I went down to look at the target and was very happy to see his three shots were in a tight little cluster. Even with yardage changes and sight changes for the different yardages his group was amazing. His group is the clover leaf in the center.

For his last shot we cleaned the rifle and with a friend watching I found a new target. I saw a white rock 244 yards away on the face of a small hill. I told him the yardage he set the sight and smacked the rock. It was about as big as a foot ball. My buddy said I don't want to shoot now. I don't want that kid to see how bad I shoot. Talk about an ego boost for a kid getting ready to go on a hunt. Ron

1874sharpsshooter 08-11-2012 05:45 PM

I dont think I would want to shoot after that either. As matter of fact I think I will wait til this post is at least 3 or 4 pages over before I post a target.
Mighty good shooting. Shouldn't have a problem hitting a deer or antelope.

cayugad 08-11-2012 05:56 PM

That is some fine shooting! He should be all set. Good luck to you.

falcon 08-11-2012 06:24 PM

Thats some excellent shooting. Your son is ready to go hunting for sure.

cayugad 08-11-2012 06:42 PM

I was going to ask.. is that a Green Mountain Barrel? And what load was he shooting?

idahoron 08-11-2012 08:58 PM

Yep that is a GM stainless 1-28. The load is a paper patched 460 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet. Behind it is a over powder wad and 80 gr of Pyrodex P. My Standard load. Ron

wildeboer 08-12-2012 12:15 AM

That is very good shooting with open sights, peep-sights or not. Hope he shoots just as good when your season open for hunting.

HuntAway 08-12-2012 06:16 AM

Great shooting! Are you adjusting the sights for different ranges or just do a hold over? Is that a TC peep sight?

HA

idahoron 08-12-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by HuntAway (Post 3959798)
Great shooting! Are you adjusting the sights for different ranges or just do a hold over? Is that a TC peep sight?

HA

The sight is a Lyman 57 SML. We change the sight. I take a range finder and get the distance. We change the sight to match the range finder and hold dead on. Hold over and under causes most misses. Ron

bronko22000 08-12-2012 04:36 PM

Excellent. Looks like he is ready (that's the plus). Now he can't blame the rifle if he misses (that's the minus).
Anyway, I wish him luck and fills both tags.