Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Impact?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default T/C Impact?

Looking for some input on the Thompson Center Impact.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by BPbowhunter92
Looking for some input on the Thompson Center Impact.
I would consider it a nice entry level gun or a youth gun to grow with.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's a fine gun and all that's needed for someone who will use it one or two weekends a year for a special season, or for occasional plinking. Someone interested in more than that would probably be better served with a more upscale model.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never heard anything bad about it. I came close to buying one once.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Spike

I bought one when they first came out and it has shot well with both BH and White Hots under a 250 Barnes MZ. I have never used it for hunting, preferring my Pursuit or all camo Vortek.
R
John
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default t/c impact

i recently purchased a tc impact with a leupold 1x4 shotgun/muzzleloader scope & wow what a set up using 90 grains of bh & a .452 300 gr xtp's. less than 1/2 groups at 100yrds.but i've really got it set up to hunt thick brush & swamp areas less than 40 yrd shots. imo this set up is a tack driver & i own other tc's including a bc triumph which i use on open field hunting over 100 yrd shots. don't let anybody bs you it's a entry level gun or a youth mz.
i'm a big dude 5'10'' & 240 lbs. i"ll be using this for a early muzzy in mid oct @ saltfork s.p. not a lot of long shots due to heavy foliage.
i bought this set up @ a local gun shop on a year end clearence for $300.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
It's a fine gun and all that's needed for someone who will use it one or two weekends a year for a special season, or for occasional plinking. Someone interested in more than that would probably be better served with a more upscale model.

What do the more upscale models have that the Impact lacks?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good question Ram. Understand that I spoke from personal opinion only. I guess any gun with a barrel that gives good accuracy and which has a reliable ignition system is as good as any other gun.

My opinion (for whatever that's worth ) is if one is going to do a lot of shooting, a model like the Omega with its solid one piece barrel in a fixed one piece stock and falling breech that locks up tight is - in the long run - superior to the break-open Impact. This is from the viewpoint of someone who puts several hundred rounds a year out of an Omega. Of course I could be wrong, having not owned an Impact.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-08-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
i recently purchased a tc impact with a leupold 1x4 shotgun/muzzleloader scope & wow what a set up using 90 grains of bh & a .452 300 gr xtp's. less than 1/2 groups at 100yrds.but i've really got it set up to hunt thick brush & swamp areas less than 40 yrd shots. imo this set up is a tack driver & i own other tc's including a bc triumph which i use on open field hunting over 100 yrd shots. don't let anybody bs you it's a entry level gun or a youth mz.i'm a big dude 5'10'' & 240 lbs. i"ll be using this for a early muzzy in mid oct @ saltfork s.p. not a lot of long shots due to heavy foliage.
i bought this set up @ a local gun shop on a year end clearence for $300.
Seeing as how the statements you refer to as bs were made by me I will address the issue because I don't think the fact that you are 5'10" and 240 pounds is sufficient to refute the statements. Instead I want to look at any evidence that exists to either validate what I say or relegate it to bs as you say.
lets begin with #1. entry level gun

when introduced at the 2010 shot show there were great reviews. the following is a quote from Randy wakeman ."

Thompson/Center appears to have a huge winner on their hands, perhaps rivaling the home run of the T/C Omega that was introduced in 2002. I'm looking forward to putting the new T/C Impact through its paces in a full-fledged review. As you might be able to tell, I think this rifle appears to be an ideal entry-level muzzleloader, far exceeding the problematic junk guns that have proved to be an embarrassment to the industry. At a $250 price point, the dubious imported inline muzzleloading attempts just became obsolete. It is about time."

the consensus when it came out was that TC was trying to compete with the cheaper models that saturated the market from spain. Most first time buyers make their decision based on price. A person looking to just get started or who only hunts a few times a year to extend the season usually doesn't go and spend a lot of money. I think TC made a smart move to try to capture a little of that market. Hence it is an entry level gun based on price

#2. a youth mz: for evidence to that lets visit the TC website.
you will find the Impact under both muzzleloaders and under youth guns. here's the statement listed for innovations.

1" Adjustable Buttstock Perfect for smaller shooters—room to grow. with this photo

look under youth guns and here is what you find:

Thompson/Center Impact
.50 Caliber Youth Muzzleloading Rifle
The New T/C IMPACT delivers more... more features and more value. Utilizing a brand new break open hood design, the IMPACT provides easy access to the breech for both right and left-handed shooters. The IMPACT is also versatile with it’s 1" removable spacer in the stock, so youth get a perfect fit with room to grow! And with the premium 26" T/C barrel, you can be assured of superior down range accuracy. 100% made in the U.S.A.
check out the link yourself http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/youth_impact.php

So for me the evidence clearly validates my 2 statements and so I stand by them as fact and not bs as you all it.

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 08-09-2012 at 05:17 AM.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting buddy bought one last year and took 3 deer with it from ranges of 30 - 175 years. I have handled it, but not shot it. He really likes it and claims 1" groups at 80 yards with 110 grains T7 and the 240 grain XTP. It seems to be solidly built and accurate, though not the prettiest rifle IMO...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.