Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Optima- Pyrodex Pellets and Homecast conicals >

CVA Optima- Pyrodex Pellets and Homecast conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima- Pyrodex Pellets and Homecast conicals

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Default CVA Optima- Pyrodex Pellets and Homecast conicals

Found some pellets in my storage area and so i headed out with my Optima, 370 Maxiballs, winchester W209 primers at 50 yards. First 2 shots were beautiful but shot 3rd had to be pushed through a 1/2" crud ring which threw it off. I think with swabbing between shots, this thing would be able to thread them into the first hole. 80gr Pyrodex Pellets.

I ALSO got the 250gr REAL with lubed wads to shoot! 60gr Pyrodex Pellets would again, put the first 2 shots INTO the same darn hole and throw the 3rd shot about an inch high due to the crud building up in the barrel. I didn't take any pics of that but tomorrow I will test again and use T7 pellets this time around and use One 50gr pellet and One 30gr Pellet and see how they do. If they do good, its one hell of a cheap, accurate,deadly load.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

It would be interesting to see what would happen with swabbing. Will be waiting your report.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

We'll see how that does tomorrow. I am out of 50gr pyrodex pellets so T7 pellets will have to be tested next.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

370 gr (50 cal) and 435 gr (54 cal) Maxiballs over 90-100 gr Pyrodex is what I shot for years. They wilt deer.