Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Worst bullet
CVA Powerbelt copper series
53.33%
CVA Powerbelt pure lead series
13.33%
CVA Powerbelt Aerolite series
26.67%
CVA Powerbelt Platinum series
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Worst bullet poll

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

ALCON,
I can't vote with out any knowledge of the bullets on the poll, but I do have a question about the 270 gr Plat PB's. I have read alot about PB's with mag charges and the negative impacts of the bullet. Does anyone have experience with the 270 gr plat PB? I have only heard some good things about the dangerous game PB's, but I dont recall any good reports with the 270 gr. However, I did see the 270 gr plat PB being advertized for mag loads. I am not considering them but I guess they spark my curiousity. Thanks

Mike
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think a Platinum with a magnum load will still blow up. However, i'm not a fan of magnum loads. With a normal load I think the Platinum would perform pretty good. It has the smallest hollow point which should help hold it together.

Powerbelt claims it uses pure lead. Pure lead doesn't shatter like a PB unless it's been made brittle. It might be when they put the copper wash on it, or they aren't being honest about it being pure lead.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

its pure lead, just melted 4lbs of it today to cast real bullets with. Soft as butter. Even the sabertooth bullets splatter when pushed to hard.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never seen a round ball splatter.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

thats because they don't have enough power to do so.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cmon Jon. That makes no sense.

100gr of Pyro in a sidelock with a 50cal PRB has more velocity than a PB in an inline with the same powder load. That load has had a PB explode. Never the PRB.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

ive had balls turn inside out, but again, that hollow point makes all the difference. I just cleaned out my sand buckets today and some were just ripped up, others were in good shape. Round balls just are not in the same category.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're right. Round balls stay together. Entirely different category.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Banned

its the truth though, round balls just dont have the energy to blow apart, plus the shape of them aids in that area as well. I actually have seen balls split in half but thats what happens when you hit 2 balls together.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might see funny things happen to home cast balls, but not Hornady balls. Then you can look at lead conicals. They don't shatter.

Something is weird with the lead in PB's. They shouldn't do what they do. Imagine how popular they would be is they gave a perfect mushroom every time? They load good, and are accurate. I think hunters would accept the high price better if the terminal performance was better.

They work sometimes now, and other times not at all. The problem is, they have to be going the perfect speed for the conditions. That's just not possible to do, and it shouldn't have to be either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.