HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Flip this question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/368037-flip-question.html)

cayugad 08-04-2012 06:44 AM

I have also read the negative posts about Powerbelts. But I do intend to try a Powerbelt this year in my Great Plains Hunter with 80 grains of 2f powder. It will be a 295 grain copper coated Powerbelt. I will aim center mass and see if I can blast out the major organs. I expect to get major damage with a close distance shot like that. And it should be interesting to me to see how long it takes to bring the animal down.

The other rifle I am going to use a lot is the .451 White with a 488 grain conical and 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I think even though this load might not sound like much, it will be bad news for a White tail deer.

Muley Hunter 08-04-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3957413)
I have also read the negative posts about Powerbelts. But I do intend to try a Powerbelt this year in my Great Plains Hunter with 80 grains of 2f powder. It will be a 295 grain copper coated Powerbelt. I will aim center mass and see if I can blast out the major organs. I expect to get major damage with a close distance shot like that. And it should be interesting to me to see how long it takes to bring the animal down.

The other rifle I am going to use a lot is the .451 White with a 488 grain conical and 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I think even though this load might not sound like much, it will be bad news for a White tail deer.

I'd like to see you use the 270gr Platinum. I think it would be a good deer bullet.

I'm too chicken to try it. I'm not sure how many hunts I have left, and I only get one deer a year. I have 50-60 Thors, and it's hard for me to not use them, but i've always felt the Platinum would work good.

cayugad 08-04-2012 06:54 AM

I would Muley but the GPH gets such excellent accuracy with those copper coated 295 grain Powerbelts. I have no doubt I can hit what I shoot at with them. And to me, that's the edge any hunter needs. The confidence to know the rifle is accurate and they can shoot it in an accurate manner. Now the question is .. will the flintlock go off true and clean?

Muley Hunter 08-04-2012 07:16 AM

Another thing i'm chicken about. I only had one flintlock (GPR). I just couldn't trust it to firing everytime without a delay. I had one flash in the pan with the sights on a deer. I sold it after that.

What baffled me was I put more powder in the pan exactly like I had it for the flash in the pan, and it fired perfectly. I don't know how to fix a problem like that?

I love the idea and operation of a flintlock, but I guess a caplock suits me better.

Good luck with the GPH.

HuntAway 08-05-2012 01:21 PM

I have no horse in this race and represent just lil ole me.... well maybe not that little.:rolleye0011:

XTP's are on my hit list. Not for their on game performance as I've read they do the job but their on target performance or rather their off target performance. I tried to hit the broad side of the barn but just couldn't with them. None of my rifles liked them. PB's followed closely behind them in accuracy.

Other than that, Noslers, SST's, PR DeadCenters all shoot lights out.

Buffalo Ball-ets didn't work too well either. They seemed to wander a lot.

I do believe all bullets are built to perform a specific job at a certain rate of speed window. Once you're outside that window performance declines.

HA

cayugad 08-05-2012 01:54 PM

Good point HA. One reason I suggested the reason you list the circumstances they were used and what failed for you. Now in my rifles, I have very good luck with XTP bullets. But I have never had the chance to take game with them. So while I can say.. very accurate for me on the target range, I have yet to be able to put in that little extra of... and a real game taker.