Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flip this question >

Flip this question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flip this question

Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I have always had great luck with the 385 br Buffalo bullets over 90 gr of Pyrodex RS. In my inline's I shoot 300gr SST over 120 gr Pyrodex RS and I have killed some farely big deer, black bear, and hogs with that load. My son shoots 250 SST over 100 gr of T7 and has had great success. I have no personal experience with the PowerBelts, but I have taken a few guys on some hunts with their ML's and I have seen those fellers get sick at their stomach's as the buck of their dreams run away. If I type some jumbled stuff here please forgive me. I have taken my meds and I have a tendency to flap in the breeze. I suppose that I would not use the PowerBelt based on opinions. I'm not quite sure that is a fair choice but its gonna be mine...LOL
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm kind of with Wabi- I have shot a pretty good variety of bullets and have used some of that variety for hunting, but there aren't any that I absolutely would not use again.

Having said that, I will quote Ecclesiastes 3:1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven". In other words, certain bullets are better for certain hunting seasons, and better with certain powder charges.

For example, I have used the .40 cal 200 grain XTP a fair amount, and it has done great on deer-sized game, but based on my personal experience, I would not use it again at muzzle velocities exceeding 1,900 fps. On the other hand, if I were going for coyotes, I would load it to the max and thin out the coyote population.

Similar with Powerbelts for me- they have shot very accurately for me, and I would not hesitate to use them on deer at low-to-moderate powder charges. At higher velocities, no way. But I really don't shoot Powerbelts much anymore because they are too expensive and offer limited performance.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad View Post
For instance.. what you like better and XTP or a Speer Deep Curl?
I have never shot the Speer Deep Curl. I have not had a reason to switch from the Hornady XTP. It has not let me down yet. I have only had one instance where the XTP did not pass through but the deer dropped right where it was hit. The situation for not getting a pass through on that shot was very peculiar. The deer was approaching from right to left at about 40 yards and was shot at about a 30 degree angle to my right just behind the shoulder. The bullet was found just under the hide at the bottom of it's neck on the opposite side. The core had separated from the jacket but both were fond nearly touching. In other words, the deer was shot off to my right on an almost level plane, yet the bullet traveled from right to left and a little upwards through the deer. I will always find that peculiar.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
It was a PB. CVA doesn't make bullets.
On the CVA website look under bullets.

http://www.cva.com/Muzzleloading-Products.php?shop=Bullets#l

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=488428

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/2710

Muley, you need to get a hold of CVA, and let them know businesses are selling bullets under their name. Ask them why they have them bullet on their website while you're at it.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad View Post
For instance.. what you like better and XTP or a Speer Deep Curl?
Shockwaves .. I have heard horror stories about them. Anyone care to share?
I have used XTPs since forever it seems. Last year, because I was bored and curious, I switched to the .452 300g Deep Curl. I seen zero difference in performance. All the deer I shot did the same thing they do when I shoot XTPs. (In one instance, actually worse (minimal blood trail) but I can't entirely blame the bullet for that as we all know sometimes deer do strange things.)

The two bullets I will not use are Powerbelts in any form and Shockwaves. I've personally seen too many deer lost with both of them.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin View Post
On the CVA website look under bullets.

http://www.cva.com/Muzzleloading-Products.php?shop=Bullets#l

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=488428

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/2710

Muley, you need to get a hold of CVA, and let them know businesses are selling bullets under their name. Ask them why they have them bullet on their website while you're at it.
Same parent company.BPI.

CVA does not make PB bullets.

If you want to call them CVA Powerbelts. OK, but still wrong. Calling them just CVA bullets is not close to being right.

If you put a Bergara barrel on a TC. Would you say you have a CVA barrel on it?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM
1874sharpsshooter

When all else fails try semantics

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
..........................If you put a Bergara barrel on a TC. Would you say you have a CVA barrel on it?
Yes, i believe i would.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had good luck with Shockwaves, very accurate...I too heard the stories, some said they didn't open, some said they didn't penetrate...I guess some were pushing them too fast and some too slow...I killed a couple of dozen deer with them, with a high shoulder shot they fell right now...

I got away from them because most of my shots are within 100 yards and I felt the Shockwave design lended itself to 150 yards or so...I found out a .430 Hornady XTP in 300gr in front of 80-85 grs of FFF Goex out of my Knight was plenty flat for 150 yard shots and the hollow point design assured it would open up on impact...

I've no problems with round balls, they do well for what they were intended...I suspect that like PowerBelts the fellows that have problems are using too much powder and shooting very close...The PowerBelts we had "problems" with were the 295gr hollow points and the boys just had to use 100grs of powder...I suspect if they went down to 75 grs or so they would do just fine as a woods load...But...Then you lose the tradjectory for those 150 yard shots...

This is why I feel like a hollow point pistol bullet is the best of both worlds...Even then, you can push them too fast and not be happy with the results...

If a fellow truly wants an exit every time on deer, that 300gr Barnes MZ is one of the bullets to use...I just don't need to spend that kind of money to kill these little old NC deer.....
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin View Post
Yes, i believe i would.
You'll say anything to win a point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.