Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Palmetto - first range report >

Palmetto - first range report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Palmetto - first range report

Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of rest are you using when you are shooting these groups? Mine is a really cheap one and I know if I had a very good one my groups would improve. I would really like to see what you can do with that rifle at 100 yards.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

The rest is a homemade model but quite sturdy, I use it to zero my centrefire rifles also.
I also would like to test the rifle at 100 meters but I want a good grouping first. I will first play with different primers, we had a good time yesterday shooting rifle and pistol powders at different loads from the rifle. You can hear the difference between the 2 types easily.
A friend of mine is using pistol-grade powder(FFFg?) in his rifle, rifle-grade doesn't produce any food groups.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

Wildeboer,

Are scoped up or is this with open sights? Either way, you have a 1" group at 50 meters or about 55 yards.

That's not too shabby.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

He should probably be overlapping holes at 50 yards But I would be interested to see how much the group spreads out at 100 yards. You really never know until you try.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Josmund
Wildeboer,

Are scoped up or is this with open sights? Either way, you have a 1" group at 50 meters or about 55 yards.

That's not too shabby.
I currently use a Nikko Stirling 3-9x42 Gold Crown, old j-a-p-anese glass, they just outlast a rifle.
I've read a lot of guys complaining about misfires etc in inlines rifles with the std no11caps, luckily I found some no11Magnums yesterday which I also want to test. I understand the Magnum has a little more volume and a lot more heat, maybe it will help on the misfires.
The next trip to the range will answer my questions hopefully.

Last edited by wildeboer; 08-05-2012 at 08:08 AM.