Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New/Used 58 Cal

Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

I finally got out and shot yesterday, Set up at 25 yards, first shot low and to the right about 3" so I shot 3 more times. after the third shot had a nice clover lear group, the 4th shot same hole as first shot. So I made a sight adjustment and the next 2 shots were about an 1" left and just out of center.
Moved back to 50 yards 4 shots, made one more sight adjustment after the 2nd shot for elevation. That group at the end of 4 shots measured 3".
I then moved back to 75 yards. First shot a little low on the cardboard deer target and way left. so I made another adjustment. The next 2 shots right were they needed to be and measured 2". I did not use the rest and sand bags on the 75yard shooting. Just used me elbows as the support. I am quite pleased with how this GM 58 cal barrel shoots.

My rifle as stated before, TC Renegaded Hunter, 32" Green Mountain 58 Cal barrel, Green Mountain front sight that came with the barrel, TC hunter peep sight without the appurature.
My load that I was shooting; 100gr by volume Goex 2F black powder, Ox-Yoke pre lubed .015 patch, Hornady .570 round ball, Hot shot nipple, and #11 mag cap.

With this combo and my normal type shooting, the load went down the barrel with med pressure and smooth, and I cleaned after every second shot. I did take a third shot at the end without cleaning and it went down just as smooth as the first.

I did find one patch, not burnt through, a little tattered so the rifling must have a rough spot. I was a little surprised how good it looked as I figured I may need to use a .018 patch. Now to see if I can get some deer hunting in this year.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like you have a great load there... and that will sure do a number on a deer.

The first deer I saw shot with a .58 caliber was my friend's doing. He had a CVA Mountain Rifle in .58 caliber and we were hunting an area thick with doe. We were told by the land owner that in order to hunt his land we HAD TO SHOOT doe. We could have shot either sex. And I saw a massive buck that day. Shame I gave my word.

Anyway we were seated on a small island in a marsh area and eight doe came out on the one end. I motioned to my friend and he nodded he understood. He used a cane stick to walk, and always used that as a rest too. So I watched him. He took a bead on a doe at about 50 yards and touched that cannon off. She did a 180 spin and dropped. My friend was an old timer that did not waste meat.. so he shot her in the neck. When we went to drag her out, we had to drag from the hind legs or we would have pulled that head off and made that deer illegal. He's shot her, right where the head connects to the neck. And it just about took her head off. Yes.. I hope you see a deer and get a chance to use that cannon. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Went out for a couple hours this morning for deer, but none were at my area, so I drove up to the range and set up and shot at 75 yards. The first shot slightly left and centered up and down, second shot low and to the right. This continued for another 4 shots. I found a couple patches and one side was shredded. I thought, rough barrel? even during cleaning the barrel never showed me any rough spots. The I thought, Maybe patch just not tight enough.
So I switched to a .018 Ox-Yoke prelubed pillow ticking. That did the trick and the 75 yard group tightened right up. 8 shots 3.5" group. I think this load is better and shots #6,7 & 8 were shot without cleaning. I usually clean after the 2nd shot.

There is one shot off to the left in the liver area. that was shot off hand at 85 yards. I was on the wrong side of the tree and not steady as I should be.
Attached Thumbnails New/Used 58 Cal-58-cal-shoot-1-nov-2012-001.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I use .018 pillow tick. That is some fine shooting there. The deer don't stand a chance.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang it guys - I haven't shot a deer with my .54 yet and now you have me thinkin on getting a .58!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Did the barrel just drop in or did you have to sand out the barrel channel?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER
Did the barrel just drop in or did you have to sand out the barrel channel?
The barrel was fine, I had to shorten the rib some so it would fit in-front of the stock. other than that no other modifications needed to install the barrel
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

On the older Renegade you either have to shorten the thimble rib with a dremel tool (works real well) or take of just a little of the fore end of the stock (which is not desired on a Hawken Rifle). Some of them just drop right in. You never know until you get the barrel to the stock. On my new Renegades, it will drop right in place.

The .58 is just an amazing caliber. When that 284 grain ball smashed down range.. everything goes flying. I get a kick out of hearing it hit my steel bullet trap. Its that sound you hear when on a range they shoot them steel silhouettes that "ping" so nice.