Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

4th of July Smoke

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default 4th of July Smoke

Sorry for the off topic thread but I'm guessing there are very few who can use the smoke pole these days. Here in Kansas it's triple digits every day. Dry, dry, dry.

Below is a picture of another hobby. It's a little on topic because jerky on the grill is the last of a deer which fell to a Scorpion PT this past winter.

This year I'm shooting a jerky deer. We can buy a bunch of antlerless tags, I love to make it and the family devourers the stuff as fast as I can smoke it.

The brisket will be the main course this evening.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks mighty good Josmund.

It's not off topic. After all, the deer fell to a muzzleloader.

How do you prepare the jerky for smoking?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
How do you prepare the jerky for smoking?
This batch, which is actually 1 of 4 batches today, is made with Hi- Mountain Jerky Cure. I also have a recipe from a 30 year old wild game cookbook which is pretty tasty.

I usually process my deer into three group: Loins, which get eaten right away. " A " Steaks for which I have a few good recipes and the the rest is " B " meat. I use the the " B " meat for sausages and jerky. I just bought this smoker earlier in year and it's definitely going to cut into the sausage supply, hence, the need for a jerky deer.

P. S. The family really likes this hobby of mine.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Spike

Man those pics made my mouth water!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I like High Mountain Jerky seasoning. It really makes a nice jerky. That looks very good.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

Gooly that looks good - think I am going to grill up some beef for dinner tonight
Old 07-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund, you're missing some excellent eating if you're not separating the three main muscles in the hind legs for boneless roasts.

Next season, keep at least one and give this a try.

- Dry the meat with paper towels.
- Make eight or ten two-inch deep holes in the roast with a sharp pointy knife and stuff a clove of garlic in each one.
- With about a tablespoon of vegetable oil coat the roast all over. (Yes, your hands will get oily.)
- Season with Chipotle chili powder, salt, and black paper (use more than you think is right), and rub the seasoning into the meat.
- Dust the entire roast with flour and let it sit for an hour or so.
- Put that sucker on the pit using indirect heat (coals on one side and roast on the other, and don't forget the Hickory chips).
- Cook until internal temperature is a minimum of 120 degrees for rare to 135 for well done. (A meat thermometer is your friend. If you try to go beyond 125 degrees around my house you can expect complaints.)
- Let it rest at least ten minutes before slicing.
- Be prepared to fight for the last piece.

Last edited by Semisane; 07-05-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Josmund, you're missing some excellent eating if you're not separating the three main muscles in the hind legs for boneless roasts.

Next season, keep at least one and give this a try.

- Dry the meat with paper towels.
- Make eight or ten two-inch deep holes in the roast with a sharp pointy knife and stuff a clove of garlic in each one.
- With about a tablespoon of vegetable oil coat the roast all over. (Yes, your hands will get oily.)
- Season with Chipotle chili powder, salt, and black paper (use more think is right), and rub the seasoning into the meat.
- Dust the entire roast with flour and let it sit for an hour or so.
- Put that sucker on the pit using indirect heat (coals on one side and roast on the other, and don't forget the Hickory chips).
- Cook until internal temperature is a minimum of 120 degrees for rare to 135 for well done. (A meat thermometer is your friend. If you try to go beyond 125 degrees around my house you can expect complaints.)
- Let it rest at least ten minutes before slicing.
- Be prepared to fight for the last piece.
Thanks Semi. I'll give that a try. The hind quarters fall into my " A " group and your recipe sounds great. What I need is a good methodical system for deboning the hind quarter. I get the job done but it's a little inefficient and I usually don't have the nice cuts you have displayed above.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

nice, is that a Treager Grill.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
nice, is that a Treager Grill.
Indeed it is. It makes smoking easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.