Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New to hunting and black powder >

New to hunting and black powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to hunting and black powder

Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default New to hunting and black powder

Hello

Just moved to NH and want to get into hunting. I picked up a 930 for deer seaon and a TC Firehawk .54 caliber for muzzleloader season. any suggestion tips or tricks for the TC? It has the 209 primer conversion also.... Thanks everyone
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lifesabeach01
Hello

Just moved to NH and want to get into hunting. I picked up a 930 for deer seaon and a TC Firehawk .54 caliber for muzzleloader season. any suggestion tips or tricks for the TC? It has the 209 primer conversion also.... Thanks everyone
Wow, where to start? First I suggest that you look around this sight and read the topics that interest you. Next I suggest you PM the fellow name Sabotloader and ask him for some help. He is a ML guru and he loves to help folks out with their questions and problems. He is also a nice guy.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Spike

Thanks really appreciate it
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader has probably owned and shot a firehawl extensively. He can probably recommend some starting loads for you to test.

By the way, welcome to the sport. Don't let it become an obsession. Well on second thought, it is a pretty wholesome obsession!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

One other suggestion for you. See if you can find a copy of "Modern Muzzleloading for Today's Whitetails" by Ian McMurchy. The book was published in 2000 so it is a little dated. But there is a wealth information in there that is still current. Your TC Firehawk is mentioned in the book. The book is mostly equipment oriented, but there are also some hunting tips inside.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lifesabeach01
Hello

I appreciate that some one would send you my direction and I a ton of stuff I could offer, but you know what I think my first suggestion would to contact Cayugad. I defer to Dave who has a tons of information to start a novice with at his at his fingertips.

+ plus the good part is that Dave a TC Black Diamond and has shot it extensively. The Fire Hawk is what eventually was developed into the Black Diamond.

I'll start you off with a copy of the original manual, just in case you do not have one.

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...awk_Manual.pdf

After Dave supplies you with his information be sure and come back with more question - there will be some.

While you are collecting information, Dave has started publishing a lot of his stuff and some of it can be found at the top of this page in the forma of a 'sticky' topic. You will need to log into view this, and I am sure given time Dave will get all of this to you.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...463cfd3e65d537

mike

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Spike

Thanks alot for everything so far everyone and I look forward to picking all your brains in the future...
Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

You have a fine ML in the T/C Firehawk. I too have one in .54 caliber, that I bought new back in the 1990's when they were still in production. I believe the Firehawk was the second modern inline ML that T/C produced. I have taken several deer with mine. Your Firehawk has a 1 in 38" twist rate. I have shot many different projectiles ( roundball, maxi-ball, maxi-hunter, power belt, and saboted bullet) out of mine. I find that I get the best accuracy with a White in color, .54 Hornady sabot #6754, with a Hornady FTX, 225 grain, .44 caliber, .430" bullet. I get best results with 90, to 100 grains FFG Goex, or Pyrodex RS, with this load. The .54 caliber Hornady sabot may be hard to find, as Hornady stopped supplying them a couple of years ago. Go to this website: www.mmpsabots.com I believe the .54 Hornady sabots were supplied by MMP, and Hornady put thier name on them. You can get some from MMP. Also I see that you have the 209 conversion. I put one of these on mine to change from #11 caps. Accuracy fell off with 209 primers. I then got a musket cap nipple (1/4X28 thread) and use musket caps. Good accuracy, and positive ignition when using BP subs. T/C #7252.

Last edited by Landngroove; 06-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome and be prepared to get addicted. ML is great fun.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the funny farm Lifesabeach. If you're going to hang around here you may as well contact your credit card company now and ask them to up your limit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.