Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
#1 favorite muzzleloader bullet >

#1 favorite muzzleloader bullet

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#1 favorite muzzleloader bullet

Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you hit a deer with a Hornady XTP, it's not going to care if the core separates from the jacket, believe me! And neither will you.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by pluckit
When you hit a deer with a Hornady XTP, it's not going to care if the core separates from the jacket, believe me! And neither will you.
Well, I totaly disagree with that... I care, I have shot more than a couple of ani,als with them (Hornady XTP's) and when they separte sure the animal is dead if you do your part - but in some instances - the animal does not really know that it is dead and heads for someplace other than where it was shot. I would by far rather shoot a bullet that remains together and causes the hydrostatic & tramatic shock that it should.

You judge... this bullet that was a pass through on an Elk..

This one a pass through on a deer

These bullets that were torture test to make them fail...

Or these that were tested also...

Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know if I really have a favorite. I have the most experience with .44 300 gr. XTP's. They are accurate and have dropped every deer I ever shot with them. I know that other bullets are as good or better. I do like the low price of the XTP's.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
have you checked out the harvester scorpion pt gold's? Something like 38 cents each and they are a hell of a bullet when they impact deer.
I haven't checked them out yet..will have to..
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Spike

Sabotloader have you tried the Barnes expanders? If so how do you think they performed.. How are they compared to the speer deep curls?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Spike

i use harvester funnel point
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems my favorite bullet is the Deep Curl. They are shot out of my rifles year around. They are used to punch paper, water filled boxes/jugs, and for hunting. More deer have fallen to Deep Curl from my muzzle loader than any other bullet. They really work good putting deer down, right there, right now. They are inexpensive compared to many. Whenever i walk uphill behind where i punch paper, & find Deep Curl after they have been shot into dirt and rocks, they are still an intact bullet. Captured Deep Curl are usually pretty enough to be used in jewelry.

For some reason, i consider cost when i load bullets. Naturally performance is considered. Hunting where i hunt has me consider long range shooting. Putting all the parameters together when considering bullet, seems to lead me to choosing Deep Curl.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

IMO price is only a concern at the range where you know you will be blasting away a lot of bullets sighting in or just having fun. On a hunt for a single animal, cost of a bullet is of no concern.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

My concern is what's the best bullet that's legal in my state?

Slim pickings.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Barnes with Lehigh a close second

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.