Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Stock Preference Poll >

Stock Preference Poll

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: It's your choice!
A good quality synthetic stock in a color/pattern you like.
35.19%
A laminate stock in a color combination you like.
37.04%
A nicely figured (but not fancy) wood stock.
27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Preference Poll

Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer wood but nobody puts them on inlines anymore that I know of.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one time I would take a Synthetic is with the recoil cushion TC makes it works well for me on certain guns with a 140 grain BH load which it shoots with minute of angle accuracy. I only wonder if this is an idiosyncrasy of my Endeavor or if all the Endeavors prefer that heavy a load with certain bullets because there are some like the 250 Deep Curl with shoot quite well with 110 or some with 120 grains.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Most all my guns are working guns! A good all weather stock is important to me...

A Model M240:

Saying that, I do like a good fine wood grain stock.

My Kimber 84m in .338 Federal:

Laminated stocks are fine, but heavy. They do look good though. Don't have a rifle with a laminated stock, I do have this handgun though:

My G2 Contender, with a .375 JDJ:

Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like laminate
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like laminate for most uses. But if I was going on a long mountain hike I would consider synthetic both for the weight and to save it from getting beat up too bad.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Are you really sure. It seems to me that a laminate stock is ever bit as resistant to swelling, contraction, etc., as a synthetic stock. Right or wrong?
Ron I'm not doubting the abilities of a laminated stock, I have them and do hunt with them. There are a few concerns though and this is why a say what I say about the synthetic deep down. 1. You tend to "baby" the laminate more because you simply don't want to scratch or dent it at all. 2. In very harsh weather, the laminates will be affected more by the elements than the synthetic in the long run. 3. Most generally the laminates weigh more than the synthetics. For long hauls this will have a tow on the hunt. Don't get me wrong, I hunt with a laminated gun and love it, I think it is a great gun, but there are a few hangups that make me believe that the synthetic is a more versatile all around stock.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

i thoroughly detest Tupperware in all it variations. Most of my guns have walnut stocks. i've hunted in rain, snow, sleet and a blizzard or two. Never had any problem with my walnut stocked or laminated stock guns.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Ron I'm not doubting the abilities of a laminated stock, I have them and do hunt with them. There are a few concerns though and this is why a say what I say about the synthetic deep down. 1. You tend to "baby" the laminate more because you simply don't want to scratch or dent it at all. 2. In very harsh weather, the laminates will be affected more by the elements than the synthetic in the long run. 3. Most generally the laminates weigh more than the synthetics. For long hauls this will have a tow on the hunt. Don't get me wrong, I hunt with a laminated gun and love it, I think it is a great gun, but there are a few hangups that make me believe that the synthetic is a more versatile all around stock.
+1 Yep! Yet i love the looks of a fine wood stock but as I said on the first page I prefer good synthetic for hunting in our sometimes lousy weather and physical hunting environment.

I really wish Northern Idaho were flatter and had nice even 50-55* degree weather - no never mind I like hunting the snow.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Ron..........................You tend to "baby" the laminate more because you simply don't want to scratch or dent it at all.........................
No, i don't baby my wood or laminate stock.

What i have learned about tools, is the worst thing a tool can endure is disrespect from poor craftsmen.

I have always been hard on tools, but i have always admired, and respected good tool. One can't baby the tool, when one is trying to maximize production for the company.

When i carry a rifle, i don't want to carry a rifle that doesn't feel or look good to me. My rifle hunts. My rifle may be the prettiest wood on this side of Rapid City; even so, it goes with me into the brush. Right or wrong, it is my opinion the finest walnut wants to be used for hunting. My rifle has dings, scratches, and places of no finish. It is pretty to me, and it feels good in my hands. My rifle hunts and kills. My rifle will be stocked with wood, laminate, or synthetic, if need be.

Myself, i will choose laminate over synthetic whenever i have the choice. The laminate may get dinged or scratched, but not because i wish it to. Right or wrong, it is my opinion that laminate is as good in foul weather as synthetic.

Twelve year i hunted damp Western Montana with a solid walnut stock. Many years more hunting the East side of the continental divide of Montana. Not once whilst hunting wet, cold, miserable conditions, did i ever miss an elk, because the stock was warped. Last year i hunted but one day when my rifle stock got soaked. Too bad i can't write, i nailed a big buck that day with a wet laminate stock. Truth is, i didn't see a dang thing to shoot at. Last year i hunted but one day when the rifle stock got soaked; i hunted 50 day when it didn't. Given a choice, i will never again spend a day afield whilst my coat, cap, and rifle are getting soaked.

Perhaps those that pay for a two week trip hunting in Alaska, would be smart to bring along a stainless synthetic rifle. I wouldn't know; i have never done it. However, i admit to wondering how Jack O'Connor managed those many trips to Alaska whilst packing a blue walnut rifle.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
However, i admit to wondering how Jack O'Connor managed those many trips to Alaska whilst packing a blue walnut rifle.
That is easy... his rifle(s) were action and full length bedded in fiberglass - essentually a composite stock on the inside - so that barrel heat or ambient temperature heat or cold, water or snow did not move move the barreled action changing POI. And as everybody else has indicated the outside was sealed tight with a finish.

I have an old PO Ackley 30-06 Improved that was done the same way by Ackley himself. If I had a wood stocked hunting stock - it would and did get the same treatment - with a composit not necessary if the barreled action is bedded correctly. It would never have a floating barrel as guns do today.

Remember the pre-64 model 70 the O'Connor used even had a screw way up in the forearm that tied the barrel to the forearm - no movement at all

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-05-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.