Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vermin load?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default Vermin load?

Hey all - I have a... uh... varmit problem of the feline sort. Harassing my animals and spraying my house. I can't get the jump on him since he's skiddish. No collar for id to contact the owner, so it's a varmit to me. Anyways, I'm guessing I have to trap and then dispose of said animal rather than trying to sneak up on it. Would a pellet from my magnum springer do the trick or should I try a little 20? grain load for a point blank? Behind the ear? If it's not PC - please feel free to PM me.. but I figure it's ok around here.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

you could try and call the sheriff's department and see what they suggest, or animal control. But it would not take a lot of powder to take him at close range.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

A cat or black snake in or around a barn is great for keeping down the rodent population. A cat is a natural hunter and also takes out rabbits and game birds too. I can abide cats as a pet to whoever wants one but I do not tolerate stray cats and I don't really care who knows it. I see one in the woods and I am armed (which I usually am), I wll take it out. I am not sure what your area is like. If its rural or urban. But a 20 gr load would surely dispatch a cat. But I think so to will a pellet behind the ear from a 1000 fps pellet rifle. And the pellet gun is much quieter.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

OOOOWHEEE!!!

Am I glad the Mrs. doesn't read these posts!
I had to help a friend that had a bunch of "undesireables" take up residence under his shed. Problem was, every time he looked out there was more of em' and they all looked alike.

Well... the Ithaca 51 12 ga. auto and a box of 6's took the count to near zero quick!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 05-01-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
OOOOWHEEE!!!

Am I glad the Mrs. doesn't read these posts!
I had to help a friend that had a bunch of "undesireables" take up residence under his shed. Problem was, every time he looked out there was more of em' and they all looked alike.

Well... the Ithaca 51 12 ga. auto and a box of 6's took the count to near zero quick!

BPS
Well... funny thing is... I originally told the Mrs. I would 'take care' of the problem and she was 'ooh, poor dear, you can't hurt that dear cat'... blah blah blah. Well... several stains of pee and fighting with our own cats later... now it's, 'would you please take care of that'. LOL. I do have a buddy with an AA10 and a couple of beta mags... guess I wouldn't need to trap or even good aim then...
Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A fish hook, a piece of fish, and a bucket full of water. Ron
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pit bull works good. No cats live in my neighborhood anymore.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

animal control will not take cats here in colorado so do what you have to do
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Pit bull works good. No cats live in my neighborhood anymore.
Originally Posted by idahoron
A fish hook, a piece of fish, and a bucket full of water. Ron
Can I do a combination of those two? Take out the bucket of water and then have a pinata party for the pit bull? PETA would be proud.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've had two big feral cats answer the rabbit in distress call while calling coyotes. Both got shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.