Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Shot

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Shot

I took another shot at making a ram rod. This time to fit the rifle, a .32 caliber Traditions Deerhunter. I made this one out of 1/4 inch hardwood and capped the ends with .22 caliber shell casings.

The jag end still has the rim on the casing and it seems to hold a patch well.

The loading end has the rim cut off of the casing and the wood inside slightly hollowed to accept the roundness of a round ball.

Here it is on the rifle.

Last edited by pluckit; 04-27-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no ronlaughlin but I think I did OK. I just finished making a .32 caliber short starter out of a broken .50 caliber short starter this morning. I'll post a picture when I get the time.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look's just fine pluckit, you did a nice job...

But didn't the gun come with a ramrod? Or did you just want a spare?

BPS
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is pretty. With a wooden ramrod you want to have next to zero grain runout. I do not like to use a wood ramrod cuz I have gotten a handful of splinters when putting too much pressure on one.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Flounder... like you, I know wooden can break. I use the wooden ramrods for decoration only. I never hunt or target shoot with them. I had one break on me and if it were not for the fact I was wearing hunting gloves, I'd hate to think of what might have happened. That thing just snapped for no reason, other then maybe the cold. And I drove my hand down onto that sharp broken end.. wow!! it penetrated the glove, but just scratched my hand. After that I went to the fiber ones or the metal.

You did an excellent job on that ramrod. It looks perfect from the picture. I am sure it will serve YOU well. It sure does dress up a rifle don't it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Flounder... like you, I know wooden can break. I use the wooden ramrods for decoration only. I never hunt or target shoot with them. I had one break on me and if it were not for the fact I was wearing hunting gloves, I'd hate to think of what might have happened. That thing just snapped for no reason, other then maybe the cold. And I drove my hand down onto that sharp broken end.. wow!! it penetrated the glove, but just scratched my hand. After that I went to the fiber ones or the metal.
For anyone that likes the traditional look of wood but also wants the strength of steel, This man makes what he calls "The virtually indestructible ramrod". They are a kinda pricey but he guarantees them. I ordered one for my Renegade .54 with the long 1:70 twist RB barrel. I spoke directly with the man when I ordered it and he's great guy to deal with. I purchased mine with German Silver fittings tapped for 10-32 on each end. Works great for both range and hunting and it really compliments the rifle.

http://www.periodramrod.com/

BPS
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pluckit - Make sure you pin those .22 casing on the rod. Nothing worse than pulling hard on a ramrod when a patch gets stuck and have the ramrod end come off. A small 1/16" or #59 drill bit works great and a brass brad. Then just snip the brad and peen it over the casing.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I picked up the aluminum rod to make a range rod I picked up the hardwood rod at the same time. It was only 90 cents or something like that. So I thought I would see what I could do with it just for kicks.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Spike

you did a nice job

Last edited by donnajm77; 04-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Pluckit - Make sure you pin those .22 casing on the rod. Nothing worse than pulling hard on a ramrod when a patch gets stuck and have the ramrod end come off. A small 1/16" or #59 drill bit works great and a brass brad. Then just snip the brad and peen it over the casing.
I pinned the casings on as you suggested. It was easy. It took about 10 minutes and added another 24 cents to the total cost of the ram rod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.