Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My recent Experience with the "New" Knight Company >

My recent Experience with the "New" Knight Company

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My recent Experience with the "New" Knight Company

Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My recent Experience with the "New" Knight Company

A couple weeks ago I purchased an unfired mk 85 in a configuration I have wanted for a while. While the rifle was new and unfired, someone had tried to remove the plunger assembly without loosening up the set screw on the side of the reciever. (the newer mk 85s and wolverines eliminated that set screw). In the process they damaged the knurled end cap and also damaged the threads where they came in contact with the set screw. Here is a picture of the part in question (this 0ne shown is an undamaged part from another rifle the one I needed is stainless)

The end cap is the part in the upper left hand corner of this pic.
Anyway, I figured it would be a simple matter to call Knight and order another one. I tried phoning them on and off for a couple days and finally on day two I got someone. He was very polite and, although it took a while to communicate with him which part I needed, we finally got past that and he put me on hold when he went to see if they had the part. I had to wait over ten minutes for his return but I did my best to remain patient. When he came back he told me that they had a new policy and that in order to purchase this part I would have to purchase a complete plunger assembly and he was not sure what the price of that was but he would call me with that information. I told him that would be kind of like having to purchase a new tire if all you need is a valve stem cover. He said he was sorry but this is the only way he could get me the part I needed. I stayed mellow and wished him a Happy Easter and said I would try to find the part elsewhere but I also calmly let him know what I thought of this new policy and how it was no way to treat people.
I am sure glad I don't have a lot of different Knight Rifles that might need parts. I have only my old mk 85s and rarely need anything for them.
I have waited a long time to post anything about this but decided I ought to. Maybe the right people at Knight will see this and make a policy change. It is sure a lot different then it use to be to deal with the old Knight company. Their service and parts department was second to none.
BTW, I was able to get the part I needed from another source so I am thankful for that.
Art
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can understand your frustration. But believe me Knight is not the only company that does this. I had lost a spring from a Savage .22 LR trigger assembly not too long ago (at least I thought I lost it). I called Savage to order a replacement spring but I was also told that I had to order the entire trigger assembly! I did the same as you and told them that was crazy. Well it ended up I found the spring in a most unlikely spot and reassembled the rifle. There are a lot of companies now that require you to purchase the entire assembly rather than just a sub component of that assembly. I believe their reasoning behind this is that they order equal number of components and if they only use, in your case, the knurled knob, then the rest of plunger assembly which probably never need replacing would just sit on the shelf forever costing them money. In a way I can see their point. Even though to us consumers, it does seem silly.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Many companies are refusing to sell individual parts from something assembled. They claim policy, and a number of other reasons.. but I call BS!! I claim profit. Why sell you a two dollar part when they can hit you for a $90 dollar assembled part. For that reason I have been moving my business away from these companies. Maybe if enough do that and let these companies know why.. they might see it in their best interest to become consumer friendly again.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Art,
With most companys today they lost touch with proper customer service issues. What Knight might have done is turn someone like yourself into a non buyer of Knight products. Then by you posting such a experince inturn that might turn away others. It seems a few others had issues with the new company. One thing for sure Knight seems to be slippinng in the wrong direction.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

jaybez,
All I can say is that I am not too keen on doing any business with them after this experience. Except for my GPR, all my muzzleloaders are either Knights or Whites. A lot of people would say a big problem with the Whites is getting parts but right now I think I can get them just as easily and more affordably than Knight parts but I have gotten to know people who have them and they are willing to help their fellow shooters.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called them a while back about the exact same part, got the same answer. I believe the new assy was about $50? if I remember correctly.

While I feel like they should probably stock that particular part as something to sell individually, it doesn't turn me off on them as a company that they don't. Its business and it is what it is. Maybe in the future they will be able to afford to stock alot more individual items. I too was able to find what I needed elsewhere, so I didn't have to purchase the entire assy.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

It seems that part was needed, because someone didn't know what they were doing, and screwed it up.

Is that a part that would normally fail?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most definitely it was operator error on the part of a previous owner of this rifle. But it is also a part that I have seen buggered up on more than a couple of these style guns. I don't think the problem is that they don't have the part or that they don't stock the part, its just that they don't want to sell small parts. As far as that being good business, I guess I disagree. I am old school enough that I think if you treat people right you will get more business in return.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you 100%. All the parts should be available.

Knight is taking the easy way out. It's much easier to stock the whole assembly.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Each and every part should be available, weather it be the tiniest Spring you should be able to purchase it. I would have told him to Shove It! So much for Customer Satisfaction!
I know this is'nt MLer related but in the last few months I'v been screwed by SONY and Eden Pure. I purchased a Eden Pure Heater and a SONY Home Theater Stereo, both were defective and I had all I could stand tryng to get either my money back or them fixed. I did eventually get my money back for the Heater but Im still going with Sony. The best part about Sony is I had to speak with a guy in the Pillipinees or however the heck you spell it, anyway he said he'd send me a return lable for Fed-Ex....well I explained to him we have no fed-ex anywhere near where I live, he said sorry that's who we deal with. So for me to send it back I have to drive almost 100 miles to ship it.......some Customer Service!
Oh and while Im on a Roll, all our Crops FROZE this year due to the Unusuall Warm 70 and 80 degree weather we had in March, I knew we were gonna get hammered with more cold weather, heck it was still march and our last threat of Frost is'nt untill May 20th, well it Fristed and Froze, temps in the low 20's dont work on Grape Buds and Apple Trees, there all dead. So Im all wahsed up and Broke and have to rely on the Wife to support us through the rest of the year that's why I have'nt been on lately I've just been so depressed!!!!!!!! Sorry for the Rant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.