Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hawken barrel swap? >

Hawken barrel swap?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawken barrel swap?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hawken barrel swap?

I have an older Cabelas Hawken .54 that has a less then perfect barrel (due to lack of cleaning from when I was younger) and I am interested in finding another. I have been watching all the auction sites and they don't come around very often and when they do they usually sell kinda high. I have noticed quite a few TC hawken 15/16 barrels on the market and some can be had fairly reasonable. Question is since a Green mountain drop in barrel fits both guns then will a TC barrel fit my Cabelas Gun? I know it would have be a .50 since thats all TC made in a 15/16 barrel. Anyone ever tried putting a TC barrel on a Cabelas (Lyman) stock? Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never tried to fit one in a Cabela's or Lyman rifle.. but the difference SHOULD be in the thickness of the hook on the end of the barrel. I know on a Green Mountain Barrel I fitted to a Lyman rifle, I had to take a file and take several strokes off the hook to make it fit. But once that was done, it worked fine. I would GUESS that the Thompson Center Barrel would do the same thing.

In fact if you purchased a new Lyman Trade Rifle barrel it SHOULD fit the Cabela's Hawkins.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

caplock

If I remember correctly... which is always a question these days, the under-lug on the Lyman-Cabelas barrel my be in a different place. Also I am not sure about the fit of the Hooked breech plug on a TC.

It would be my suggestion you might see if you can find a TC barrel that some one has and do a quick comparison...

I know longer have my Lyman so I can not help...

mike
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some info at the bottom about what fits.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/gminterbarrels.shtml
Old 04-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Some info at the bottom about what fits.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/gminterbarrels.shtml
I do remember reading this also but it seems that those that tried had to do some modifications to get them in - but again it was a long time ago when I was dealing with this..
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Spike

Caplock
Just pulled the barrel out of my TC Hawken 50cal percusion and put it in two different Investarms (Cabela's) stocks with tangs I have, fit perfect, no filing or grinding, and the barrel lugs and wedges lined right up. Hope this helps, Steve
Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Shack56
Caplock
Just pulled the barrel out of my TC Hawken 50cal percusion and put it in two different Investarms (Cabela's) stocks with tangs I have, fit perfect, no filing or grinding, and the barrel lugs and wedges lined right up. Hope this helps, Steve
Well that settles that....
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, I new you guy's would know. Now all I have to do is find a 15/16 TC barrel and I,m all set. Are all TC Hawkens barrrels the 1-48 twist? Looking for a good conical shooting barrel. Thanks guys
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

They did make a 1-66 round ball barrel, but they are rare. It will say that on the barrel so it's easy to spot.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Spike

In fact if you purchased a new Lyman Trade Rifle barrel it SHOULD fit the Cabela's Hawkins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.