Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season >

Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey a1smokepole, here are a bunch of periods - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You might try sprinkling a few in your paragraphs.

Sorry buddy. I couldn't help myself.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Spike

Thanks every one for the replys, I am learning alot here. And I think have even more to learn.(as always)

sabotloader, Thanks a ton for your break down, as an ex tool maker I understand it 100%. But it would seem that anything that far off to be inaccurite should never make it past the scrap bin I know I would not put my name on any part that was not the best piece i could make, but I dont dont work for TC.

I really liked the features of the TC but unless I can be sure of the alignment why would I bother with it.

Back to the search.

By all means keep the information coming guys!

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Banned

Its basically a coin toss. Im sure tc would replace the barrels until you found one that shot conicals, but you might be waiting 2 months before that replacement barrel that might shoot conicals, arrives.

I'd seriously check into an accura v2 or the optima non thumbhole. I know these will shoot conicals with serious accuracy.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have not seen a TC that won't shoot FPB's with great results. This from a sample of 5 or so guns . Some might load harder then others but still very accuarate. I have seen some TC's that won't shoot other conicals so well as stated with the QLA. Myself I have a X7 and it shoots FPB / no excuses very well.

I think the FPB shoots so well due to the way the base of the bullet is made. Its not a flat bottom style bullet.

Just my two cents.
Steve
Old 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am one of the ones that got a bad QLA and had to cut it off my Omega to get it to shoot conicals well. That said, it would shoot bullets with a "bell" on the back such as the FPB pretty well. If you call T/C and ask them if they will guarantee the accuracy with a conical in that gun, they will tell you no.

Knight or some of the CVAs (accura or apex) are your best bet.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I am one of the ones that got a bad QLA and had to cut it off my Omega to get it to shoot conicals well. That said, it would shoot bullets with a "bell" on the back such as the FPB pretty well. If you call T/C and ask them if they will guarantee the accuracy with a conical in that gun, they will tell you no.

Knight or some of the CVAs (accura or apex) are your best bet.
Did you ever try Thors before you cut it?

They shot pretty good from my old Omega.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

"I seem to recall a lot of elk falling to the Hawken through out history"

Agree, but an out of state elk hunt is an expensive endeavor, wether guided or do it yourself. A rifle with sealed action gives an edge when the weather turns bad, and could make a big difference in success.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey a1smokepole, here are a bunch of periods - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You might try sprinkling a few in your paragraphs.

Sorry buddy. I couldn't help myself.
Here Semi, I added some more for you. &&&&&&&&,..........,<<<<<<,?????.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Spike

Agree, but an out of state elk hunt is an expensive endeavor, wether guided or do it yourself. A rifle with sealed action gives an edge when the weather turns bad, and could make a big difference in success.
That was my thought. I know the Hawkin would do the job if I did mine, but I know that I may only get a chance or two at best and would hate it if the weather caused me to miss a shot. Since who knows when I will ever get back out to CO to hunt again.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by coma44
That was my thought. I know the Hawkin would do the job if I did mine, but I know that I may only get a chance or two at best and would hate it if the weather caused me to miss a shot. Since who knows when I will ever get back out to CO to hunt again.
One other thing to caculate into the formula, the environment and the habitat and even the dates of the seasons have changed dramatically since Hawken's were the in gun for muzzleloading.

A modern inline offers some real advantages to the Hawken style gun, not really in range or accuracy but in other more suttle areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.