HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Stuck Breech Plug Range Report (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/361668-stuck-breech-plug-range-report.html)

pluckit 04-04-2012 02:30 PM

Stuck Breech Plug Range Report

Here is the rifle that gave me a fit with the breech plug.
A Brolin Arms Legacy Model.

Here are the targets I shot with it on Tuesday. Nothing special but what can I ask for for $100 NIB. I didn't really bother trying different loads though.

This was the first inline muzzle loader I ever owned. It has a lot of sentimental value even if it has virtually no cash value. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions on how to get a stuck breech plug out.

bronko22000 04-04-2012 02:48 PM

Pluckit - you would think that the bullets would be either touching or darn near touching at 25 yds using a scoped inline even with a not so great trigger. You might want to try using FFg instead of FFFg. That may improve your accuracy somewhat. But that looks like a basic no frills rifle with a simplistic ignition system that should give you years of trouble free service. I hope you find a good load for it.

pluckit 04-04-2012 02:58 PM

I forgot to mention that the first 2 targets were shot with sabots and bullets that were loaded and removed from another gun during deer season. That may or may not have something to do with the accuracy on the first 2 targets. I don't have any excuse for the rest of the targets though. This rifle has been used to successfully harvest a few deer though. One by me and a couple others by an old friend of mine. By the way, this rifle is about 20 years old. Not that that has anything to do with anything but it's still in pretty good condition.

sqezer 04-04-2012 04:46 PM

Take very good care of the breech plug, I had 1 of those and they DON'T make part for that ML. The plug and the barrel shelf where the plug sets up against was so badly flame cut that we cut the barrel up so no one would get hurt.

pluckit 04-05-2012 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by sqezer (Post 3926987)
Take very good care of the breech plug, I had 1 of those and they DON'T make part for that ML. The plug and the barrel shelf where the plug sets up against was so badly flame cut that we cut the barrel up so no one would get hurt.

I doubt this rifle has had more than a couple hundred rounds shot out of it. This was the first time I have taken this rifle to a range. The original sight in was done off hand in a field somewhere. All except for handling and usage marks on the cheap finish on the stock, the rifle is in like new condition. The finish on the stock is like a coating of some sort, rather than a stain.

pluckit 04-06-2012 03:24 AM

Sometimes when I have what seems to be a bad range session with a rifle, I like to put one target over another to see if there was any kind of good grouping over a larger amount of shots. I did it with targets 3 and 4 and see that I have a half decent group with clean bore shots at 50 yards. The shots outside of the group, 2D and 3D, are all with a dirty bore. The other 6 shots, not counting the one with the tape over it which was the first shot made at the target, form a half decent group.

Semisane 04-06-2012 06:46 AM

I like to put one target over another to see if there was any kind of good grouping over a larger amount of shots.
I do that too Pluckit. Also, when I've found a hunting load for a gun and get it sighted in the way I want it, I like to do a "trajectory study".

I shoot two or three shots each at 25, 50, 75, 100 & 125 yards. Two targets are put together (one in front of the other) on the 25 yard frame. After the shots, the holes on the "backer" target are marked with the distance. Then the same backer target is used under a fresh target at each of the other distances with the holes for each distance marked. When done, I have one target for each distance plus one target with all 10 or 15 shots on it. That becomes my reference target that I check before hunting with that gun to remind me of the trajectory of the hunting load. It's not a big deal, but is a confidence builder.