HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   First 100yrd shots with Renegade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/361222-first-100yrd-shots-renegade.html)

MountainDevil54 03-27-2012 05:08 PM

First 100yrd shots with Renegade

Custom barreled 1:60 twist .54cal TC Renegade.

Got out to the 60 yard range first to do make sure everything was hitting center. First shot on a clean bore is pretty darn low. Shoot shot #2 which hit higher up but to the right. Made some adjustments upward and only a couple clicks to the left. Next 3 shots were perfect!

90gr Goex 2f, .018 pillow tick with some extra lube on them, homecast .530 round balls.

The front sight is really giving me some trouble, especially at the closer ranges of 50 and 60 yards. The front bead blends into the black rear sight and just making it hell on me. I plan on buying another Hi Viz fiber optic sight for this Renegade and then all should be okay.

Before heading to the 100 yard range, i took the rifle inside and ran a couple wet patches down the bore to swab out some fouling " Not not fully clean it out" before i packed up again and headed out.

The first shot hit really low, I was like, man! This first shot stuff is going to be hell to get used to. Second shot was an inch low of the bulls eye and off to the left a good bit. I thought this was odd, but again, that darn front sight i think is causing me some accuracy issues. I reloaded and took shot #3 and just smiled.

100yards,

With a new Optic sight up front i believe she will turn out to be a good shootin rifle!

Semisane 03-27-2012 05:15 PM

Are you putting the bead on the center of the target Devil, or using a 6 o`clock hold on the bull? I find I get my best groups with the 6 o`clock.

I don't know how you feel about peep sights. But they made an amazing difference for me.

MountainDevil54 03-27-2012 05:17 PM

6 oclock hold.

I do like the peep sights but they are just to pricy for me right now. I can fix this up with a new fiber optic sight and be good to go.

cayugad 03-27-2012 05:23 PM

Funny how different people like different sights. I hate peeps except for target shooting. And fiber optic sights are too large for me. My favorite is a primitive buckhorn rifle sight.

Those two hits next to each other look pretty sweet to me. I am sure once you get the sight you like, that will be a good shooter.

builder459 03-27-2012 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3924821)
6 oclock hold.

I do like the peep sights but they are just to pricy for me right now. I can fix this up with a new fiber optic sight and be good to go.

Paint hold area of front site white, it helps a lot!!

MountainDevil54 03-27-2012 08:54 PM

Good ideer! Im gonna go try that now.

Blackpowdersmoke 03-28-2012 02:59 AM

What is that contraption you have it clamped into? I'll bet Stevie Wonder and Jose Feliciano could both shoot well using that!...LOL

BPS

bronko22000 03-28-2012 11:59 AM

MD, What I do with my T/C sights is put white fingernail polish on the "bead" of the front sight. Then on the rear sight. I mask and inverted 'V" with the point in the center of the rear sight's notch and apply the white fingernail polish. Works great for alignment and in low light too.
Note: my inverted V is really skinny. You can also mask a straight post instead.

MountainDevil54 03-28-2012 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 3924914)
What is that contraption you have it clamped into? I'll bet Stevie Wonder and Jose Feliciano could both shoot well using that!...LOL

BPS

caldwell fcx leadsled