Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Renegade questions. >

T/C Renegade questions.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Renegade questions.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Renegade questions.

I just bought a new (never fired) T/C Renegade for $295. This is my first side locked ML, so my knowledge is limited. I have no idea what the rate of twist is cold it be 1:48? I've looked at different nipples, and was wondering if they are worth the extra $? I love the look of the T/C Hawkin, will the stocks or any of the furniture interchange? I'll be shooting Triple 7 in this rifle.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

It will be a 1:48.

Check out on the cableas site. Stainless steel hollow base Spitfire nipple. Best investment you can make for a sidelock.

I think the TC Hawken trigger guard will interchange.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming it is .50 cal, most likely a 1:48. Apparently TC made a few Renegades that were 1:38.

Check out

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/chart_muzzleloaders.php
Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
hubby11,

Interesting chart...I noticed that the .32 Cherokee and Seneca were both 1:30, but the .32 Firehawk (which I have one) is 1:48. Thanks for posting this info.

BPS
Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

as for the interchangeability of the parts, the lock is the same for Rene, Hawken, White Mtn, PA Hunter. The part numbers may be different but they are the same. Also assuming it is a double trigger, that too is interchangeable. Also the eustations and wedge pin, trigger guard (except blued steel vs. brass).
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I HIGHLY recommend for the nipple:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...49c49fd9ce6b9b

This product is a nipple with an O ring on it. Then it has a brass cover that attaches to a leather string to tie on to the gun. What you do is put the cover over the nipple after loading the gun. The O ring holds it in place and makes it waterproof. It is a totally weather proof cover, and it is a safety. Even if you have the gun loaded and a percussion cap on the nipple, with this cap in place, you can pull the trigger and all that happens is it hits the back of the cover. When ready to fire, just pull it off and shoot!

About 777. You might have some problems with ignition. I went to using fffg powder. And when I load, I pour about 15-20 gr down the barrel and bump the barrel trying to get some of the granules to fall into the side channel. Even so, when I hunt, I load up, then remove the nipple and pour a couple of grains in the channel, then put the nipple back on. Probably not totally kosher doing that, but it has always worked for me. Never had a misfire in the field.

But remember that fffg is more powerful than ffg, so reduce the load by about 10% from what you would use for ffg
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yea it does have set-triggers. Will it hurt anything if I pull the set trigger and with out cocking it then pull the front trigger?
Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea it does have set-triggers. Will it hurt anything if I pull the set trigger and with out cocking it then pull the front trigger?
That will do no harm. Hammer all the way down or on full cock is OK. But do not do it with the hammer on half cock, which can damage the lock.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Semisane! I have done that on my Renegade at half cock. Won't again though!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
About 777. You might have some problems with ignition. I went to using fffg powder.

But remember that fffg is more powerful than ffg, so reduce the load by about 10% from what you would use for ffg
I've never had any problems with ignition using Triple 7 in any of my percussion rifles, but I definitely wouldn't use it in a flintlock. It requires more heat to ignite than blackpowder does, and that's why it doesn't work well in flintlocks.

As far as fffg vs ffg, I have never heard that you need to reduce the load by 10% for fffg black, but then again I personally don't believe that "hot" or max loads accomplish anything more than wasting powder so I don't push the limits for any of my rifles.

It's my understanding that as far as Triple 7 is concerned that you should reduce the load by 10%. At least that's what I've heard and read since it came on the market so that's what I do when using it in comparison loads to blackpowder. I'm sure others have more info/input on this than I do.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.