Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Renegade questions. >

T/C Renegade questions.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Renegade questions.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Spike

I bought my first BP rifle, in 1978, $155.00 NIB. A t/c renegade. Shot the daylights out of it for years, I always got a kick out of shooting a RB into a cinderblock and watching it explode. I use a musket cap on mine for the last few years anyway; more positive ignition in the semi-damp weather we have here in western Washington. I also back fill the nipple of a cold barrel with a few grains of 4f bp (got some years ago from a flinter, very handy to have); when I have done this, I have never had a miss-fire. The one time I did not do this about 20 years ago I was 20 yards from the biggest blacktail buck I have seen. No buck fever, no shaking, just a steady front sight on the bucks breast bone (he was standing still looking at me). Squeezed the trigger and just a pop of the cap. Big buck turned and walked away, like he knew I could do nothing to him. Bummer and learning lesson. I like using only BP in my side lock as the ignition is easier than pryodex or 777, also in the slightly damp misty weather we get here, BP still ignites (although you may get a hang fire, 777will turn to pudding with any significant degree of moisture. I have shot both RB and Maxiball thru mine, though I prefer RB. I hand cast mine at.527 and used a greased cotton t-shirt that still has a little body for patching, finding that 110 grs 2f does wonders. Killed a bull this year, one shot through heart with that load. Bull went maybe 30 yards. Side to side penetration, I really wanted to recover that RB, but not to be.

Shot a cow in Yakima in 95 with same rifle using a 435 gr conical in front of 110 grs BP. recovered the slug under skin on far side all smashed up. Best hunting fun there is, with BP rifles. Enjoy that Renegade, I wouldn't part with mine for $1,000.00. nope.

Happy hunting
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

What threading do I look for when buying nipples?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER
What threading do I look for when buying nipples?

The nipple thread pattern is 1/4 x 28"
Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Make sure the nipple is a good stainless steel nipple. I order mine fore RMC Sports. They have good prices and excellent quality products. On their site, its easy to find the right one. That Renegade is an excellent rifle that will do anything you need done.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

I got a hot shot nipple from mountain state muzzleloading it is a little longer than the standard nipple, I screw it about 3/4 down and I get some resistance, do i screw it in all the way?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I really don't know. I never had that happen to me. I am not sure if the nipple has bottomed out, which I seriously doubt, or the threads are compromised. When you put the old one in, was there any resistance when you were setting the nipple? The hot shot nipple is a great nipple. But I would hate to tell you to force it. Make sure it is not cross threaded, but I am sure its not. Other then that, are you using a nipple wrench to put it in? Some of them can get stubborn once in a while. Try putting some anti seize on the threads and see if that don't help.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got a hot shot nipple from mountain state muzzleloading it is a little longer than the standard nipple, I screw it about 3/4 down and I get some resistance, do i screw it in all the way?
Does it have a clean out screw? The nipple could be running into it. If that's the case. Screw out the screw until the nipple will go all the way in. Be careful after you screw the clean out screw back in after the nipple is seated. The clean out screw will be bottoming out on the nipple threads.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 AM
1874sharpsshooter

If it's a 1/4 x 28 and not the 6.1 mm.( it's 1/64th bigger if i remember right) then it just might be dirty enough to offer resistance. I would double check and make sure of the size though . Maybe clean it out and try threading it again.

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 07-23-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

No cleaning screw and the original nipple screws in fine.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
1874sharpsshooter

No cleaning screw and the original nipple screws in fine.
If the old one screws in ok then I wouldn't force the new one. I would get another new one and try it . You don't want to take chance and mess up the threads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.