Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Thunderhawk .50 >

TC Thunderhawk .50

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Thunderhawk .50

Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default TC Thunderhawk .50

In the process of acquiring a minty wood stocked Thunderhawk for my son.I 've never owned an in-line so this is rather new to me.Is there a special tool for removing the breach plug for cleaning or is this adviseable? Hopefully they are a good gun as I have a .54 Renegade and .50 Hawken as well.Are they siphon cleaned with soapy water like the side hammers? Will have to look into getting a quantity of sabots and figure out what weight of bullet works best.Will they shoot a conical as I have a .50 maxi-ball mold? It will be a gift for my son who graduates from the Criminal Justice program this spring.......Thanx Harold
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

It appears that the Thunderhawk does not have a removable breech plug.
However, an extended TC nipple wrench is required in order to remove the nipple for performing the recommended cleaning procedure.
The cleaning procedure is outlined on page 40 of the pdf owner's manual:

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...awk_Manual.pdf

The TC extended nipple wrench can be purchased on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Cente.../dp/B000GU9TDS

Last edited by arcticap; 03-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I have a .50 thunderhawk. Mine likes either 240 or 300 xtp, also shoots TC cheapshots very well, also mine only seams to like around 100 grains 777, haven't bean able to find a bullet that it likes with goex black powder. Mine only marginal with maxiballs around 2 1/2 inch group at 75 yards.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Try 100gr 777 loose powder with a 250gr shockwave. The 100gr of powder will have all but no recoil and plenty of power .
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

To further muddy the waters mine has a four digit serial number and the top of the receiver has only two holes for scope bases.One above the Timney trigger and one one where the barrel meets the receiver? The Weaver two piece bases as far as I know have 2 holes per base.May have to get additional holes drilled and tapped.It has the #11 primer system and the #209 conversion kit is $50 so I'm not sure about going this route? The synthetic BP's can be hard to ignite with a #11 cap.Harold

Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-21-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: more
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a thunderhawk great gun 50 cal. wood stock
Iwill say it will shoot any type of sabot you run down the bore .
The barrel on mine is tight so .502 bullet @sabot wil load with no problems
My powder of choice is triple 777 3F and RWS1075 number 11 caps
The nipple that works the best are the t/c flame thrower
I load 90 grains of powder and a bufalo SSB 325 or 375 Gr. bullet/sabot
The only draw back is it will not shoot a conical bullet to save it life
The base mount yes only 1 scew in each to hole it to the top of the action @ it will burn the bottom of the scope tube on the open breech
I will say i been out in all weather condition with the thundehawk and it has never let me down
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I also have a .50 T/C Thunderhawk. It has a a 21" barrel, and a 24" barrel was also available. Mine likes 90 grains of Pyrodex RS, with a Hornady green sabot, and a Hornady 240 grain .430", .44 caliber XTP. Rather than go the 209 conversion route, just remove the # 11 nipple, and screw in a musket cap nipple. I have done this with mine, and get positive ignition every time. As far as I know the receivers of these MLs only have the 2 holes for the 2 piece base, so you are O.K. there. You can usually find these 2 piece Weaver style bases on Ebay, or Gunbroker. Also T/C makes a leather/velcro scope protector for the scope tube that is over the breach area. I highly recommend one of these, unless you want fouling on your scope. I have one on mine, and it works. The nipple wrench is also seen on Ebay, and Gunbroker from time to time. If you are going to use musket caps, be sure the wrench you buy will fit both #11"s, and musket caps. Finally I'd suggest high, or super high rings. You need the space between the scope, and breach area, to be able to get your finger s in to place a cap, or primer. This may be an older inline, but it is one of my favorites, even though I own several newer inlines. As far as cleaning, I completely disassemble mine, and use a bucket of hot soapy water on the barrel/breach area. The T/C website has downloads for the manual for the Thunderhawk. The manual shows disassembly.

Last edited by Landngroove; 03-21-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Nice deer, good to see the Thunderhawk works! I came across two different pics of the Weaver 406 bases one had the usual 2 holes and finally another with one per set.The bore looked like a goat threw up in it.But after a dose of CVA foaming bore cleaner and letting it sit for a couple hours it loosened things up.I did the traditional boiling H2O and dishsoap siphoning until it came out clean. Between I used a .50 brush on an old cleaning rod in a cordless drill.That lifts the crud between boiling H2O.Looks like a new quarter from the mint! So all I have to change is the #11 nipple for a same threaded musket cap nipple or will I need something else changed in the action? Harold...............PS already picked up a TC leather wrap for the scope.

Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-21-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: more
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

The bolt itself , does it require any lube to keep it moving freely or just regular cleaning after shooting.I guess petroleum based products are not great with BP so I've read.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:23 AM
Spike

I have a T/C thunderhalk I use 80gr of pyrodex with a 250gr shock wave (T/C) and I keep groups of 2 in. In mine.... I wanted the 209 kit for it but T/C don't make em anymore ( I had a deer duck my shot at her ) but I'm gonna try the musket cap with a Flame Thrower nipple see if that brings up the ignistion timing down to a sec or so..... Thanks for my 2 cets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.