Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My CVA Electra

Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default My CVA Electra

Last January I purchased a NIB blue/black CVA Electra for $135. The gun is legal during our muzzleloader season. I've had six range sessions with the gun shooting approx 100 rounds using Goex 2F and T7 2F. I've tried 80-110 grs of both powders but have settled on 90 for its favored bullet. My gun is not a powder hog the 100-110 grain loads were very erratic and large. I've tried MMP HPH 24's and Harvester EZ load sabots and got the best groups with the Harvester sabots. I've tried 348gr PB's, 300gr FPB's both shot erraticaly producing some good groups but most were in the 2.5" or larger range. Shot .452 300gr Gold Dots, 300gr XTP's, 250gr XTP's, 260gr PT Golds and 250gr Barnes MZ Expanders. Right now my go to load for this gun is 90grs T7 2F with the Barnes and Harvester sabot.

The battery goes in the pistol grip. According to the manual it should last 500 shots mine lasted 90.

The on and off switch is behind the trigger guard.

This is the safety. When the LED flashes once per second the gun is charged. It takes 20-30 seconds for the gun to recharge.

I mounted a Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 scope in Warne rings. The gun came with a one piece Durasight base already installed.

CVA says you should clean the face of the bp after every five shots. I never cleaned the face until I was done shooting for the day. Never had a hangfire with Goex or T7. The trigger is very good one of the best IMO. Using Sabotloaders tape trick on the plug made removal very easy even after 25 T7 shots.

This is 3 shots at 100 yards with 90grs T7 2F 250gr Barnes MZ with a EZ load sabot. Its the best 100 yard group I've ever shot.

This is more typical of what I get with that load at 100 yards. The smaller holes are from my .270 Win.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention NO crud ring at all when shooting T7 .
Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hoo-Wheee! You've got yourself a shooter Nimrodder. Good report too.

Looks like the Electra outshot the .270 Win.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

nice shooting! No crud ring you say? An even bigger plus.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Spike

Nimrodder

Where did you find that gun for $135? They must be dumping these as they don't seem to be in production anymore. Maybe it wasn't popular because some states won't allow the ignition system.

Do you think the no crude ring is due to the much hotter ignition system (supposedly 5 times hotter) than 209 primers?

What kind of battery did you use? I noticed the battery in the CVA video was a lithium. Was yours lithium? If not that could be part of the reason.

I would like to know if the electronic ignition works well with BH209? It seems like they would be a match made in Heaven.

Is that white splatter paint easily removed? I will have one some day.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent shooting there. And 90 grains of the powder would be plenty for anything. That 100 yard group with the T7 is outstanding. Also that is a high quality bullet.

I found it interesting your comments on the powerbelts. Again, I would have figured they would have shot good. Very nice looking rifle and scope. How do you clean the barrel or the breech plug.. with a brush I heard?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

MLN1963, I bought it at Sportsmans Guide. They have raised the price since then.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=775742

CVA claims the ignition is 5 times higher but I think the reason there was no crud ring was because the ignition is weaker than a 209 primer. I've never seen a report on a Electra where the gun consistently and reliably ignited BH209. I do not have any BH209 to try.

I used a standard 9 volt Duracell. It was probably an old battery. CVA does recommend lithium batteries for cold weather.

Never tried to remove the white splatter. Kinda like it. The SG price is pretty good I would jump on it if you really want one,
Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Dave, the gun comes with a nylon brush (I don't use it becuase I have a larger one) to clean the face of the plug. Just spray black powder cleaner on the face and brush the fouling off. This gun is the easiest muzzleloader I've cleaned. No blow back gets into the guts of the rifle.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Spike

Great report; I'm a buyer's club 'member' also and got in on this deal; but I will say these rifles appear to be worth much more than that. That first target is something else!

'No crud ring' you say? I'll have to order a jug of T7!

And I have to ask: There's no 'letoff' on the trigger at all is there? Is that a little strange -- or not an issue?

Last edited by Alpowa; 03-14-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Do you mean take up? There is just the slightest bit of take up before the trigger "breaks". It did take me a couple range sessions to get used to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.