Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura V2

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Spike

I should also mention that there are some features I really like about the gun. The trigger is great. Probably 2.5 pounds and no creep. The breech plug really is fingers only, though it can get a little snug. I really like the thumbhole stock and break open action. Really easy to take the foreend off and remove the barrel--just like a over/under shotgun. Externally, the Accura would still be my first choice--just having some unexpected problems.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your problems are all fixable, to bad you did not get a Triumph.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NMwapitichaser
.........................I also consider myself more technically competent than most. I've modified triggers, shimmed parts, glass bedded, refinished, and did light gunsmith duty at a sporting goods store for a couple years. I do all my own archery work except build strings and I'm working on that. Anyway, just saying that I didn't expect this much trouble with a new gun. If the firing pin was going to clog up in less than 100 shots, then I should have been warned and properly equipped to deal with it. I don't see any reason you wouldn't want the modified breech plug for all loose powders. It puts the grains about a quarter inch from the primer versus close to an inch with their standard breech plug......................
Bein's you are handy, check this out.

Them photo show a plug modified in October 2010. It has been tested thoroughly in all kind of weather, and has never failed to ignite BH instantaneously. The rifle has been left loaded and dirty in the truck over night in sub-zero weather several times. This plug works.

Myself, i prefer this plug over the made for BH plug now being sold by CVA. It doesn't require a specially made drill to properly clean the flame channel. It has a longer flame channel, thus produces less pressure on the nose of the primer. To clean this plug, one simply removes the vent, and run a drill through the plug end to end. Simple, quick, and no guessing whether the carbon has been removed from the juncture of the flame channel and flash hole. When the flash hole in this plug is worn, one simply replaces the worn vent with a fresh new vent.

When your rifle returns home, you might consider using an 0-ring, or shimming the firing pin bushing out. Done correctly, this will stop blow by from getting into the firing pin channel. A metric o-ring 1mm thick with a 4.5mm ID placed in the primer pocket will make a perfect seal at the nose of the primer. Never again will your firing pin stick because of carbon leaking around the primer. Shimming out the firing pin bushing can also make for a nice tight fitting primer which will not allow carbon to leak around the nose and thus reach into the firing pin way.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Muley

More bad news old man. Was just now looking at the new MR on the CVA website. It doesn't come with sights. It has no sights. There are no sights!! To use your 'dream rifle' you not only will have to purchase a made for BH breech plug, you will also have to purchase sights. Things aren't looking so very good when it comes to comparing costs of your 'dream' CVA rifle compared to the cost of my 'dream', Dream Season Omega. Sorry about that old man!

I just need to head over to Scheels this morning, and purchase a new TC Dream Season for $399.99. It comes with sights. It comes with a breech plug that ignites the power of choice. It weighs the same as the MR. What's not to like for at least $200 less?!?

Yer not going to enjoy the taste of that crow old boy! Perhaps some Tabasco?!?!

Don'cha just love the way it feels in the middle of a gloat?!? Oh, wait, you don't know what that feels like.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

damn! lol...

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Hey Muley

More bad news old man. Was just now looking at the new MR on the CVA website. It doesn't come with sights. It has no sights. There are no sights!! To use your 'dream rifle' you not only will have to purchase a made for BH breech plug, you will also have to purchase sights. Things aren't looking so very good when it comes to comparing costs of your 'dream' CVA rifle compared to the cost of my 'dream', Dream Season Omega. Sorry about that old man!

I just need to head over to Scheels this morning, and purchase a new TC Dream Season for $399.99. It comes with sights. It comes with a breech plug that ignites the power of choice. It weighs the same as the MR. What's not to like for at least $200 less?!?

Don'cha just love the way it feels in the middle of a gloat?!? Oh, wait, you don't know what that feels like.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to disappoint you Ron, but I just bought a new Redfield scope for the MR, and it does come with a scope mount.

I can't talk about the price i'll be paying, but it's better than you can imagine.

Got anything else old man?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Hey Muley

More bad news old man. Was just now looking at the new MR on the CVA website. It doesn't come with sights. It has no sights. There are no sights!! To use your 'dream rifle' you not only will have to purchase a made for BH breech plug, you will also have to purchase sights. Things aren't looking so very good when it comes to comparing costs of your 'dream' CVA rifle compared to the cost of my 'dream', Dream Season Omega. Sorry about that old man! All CVA muzzys come with the Dura sight mount, If you need open sights, they will exchange the mount for sights. BUT considering that the MR is a scope only gun, you'd have to shim sights to work anyway.

I just need to head over to Scheels this morning, and purchase a new TC Dream Season for $399.99. It comes with sights. It comes with a breech plug that ignites the power of choice. It weighs the same as the MR. What's not to like for at least $200 less?!? Crap stock and the fact that it most likely will not shoot conicals.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NMwapitichaser
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check into the other blogs. I was shooting CCI primers. Had to use magnums to improve ignition with the Blackhorn. Used standard CCIs with the 777. I tried swabbing between shots and not. I didn't see a lot of difference yet, but I've only put about about 100 rounds through the gun so far. Since I had so much trouble with fouling, I cleaned the barrel and breech plug thoroughly at least between groups.

I'm trying all the easily available bullets--XTPs, Shockwave, Barnes, Hornady, CVA, Precision, etc. I'm willing to try various powders, but the only things on the shelf around me are 777, Shockey's, and Blackhorn. CVA mentioned White Hots to me too, but I haven't seen any on the shelf anywhere. I did pick up a can of Alliant's MZ recently, but obviously can't report any results on that yet.

I'm just getting back into muzzleloading, but I've been a hunter all my life. I also consider myself more technically competent than most. I've modified triggers, shimmed parts, glass bedded, refinished, and did light gunsmith duty at a sporting goods store for a couple years. I do all my own archery work except build strings and I'm working on that. Anyway, just saying that I didn't expect this much trouble with a new gun. If the firing pin was going to clog up in less than 100 shots, then I should have been warned and properly equipped to deal with it. I don't see any reason you wouldn't want the modified breech plug for all loose powders. It puts the grains about a quarter inch from the primer versus close to an inch with their standard breech plug.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll post more when I have news.
The Alliant black mz is just repackaged american pioneer. I'd suggest you stay away from that and stick with Blackhorn209. Its a very simple fix for the V2 and I'll help you get it all set up and running. The V2 is a very easy muzzy to get deadly accuracy from, its just when you start messing with sabots, you have to get the right sized sabot that the rifle likes. I mainly shoot powerbelts, Thors, harvester scorpion PT golds out of my CVA's and they all shoot great.

The grease they use in the CVA guns for rust protection is some real nasty stuff, very sticky and thick, You got to clean that stuff out with something like birchwood casey gun scrubber, spray the guts out the best you can, and then reoil it with a light lube like Barricade.

When it comes in, just let me know and I will walk you through the process and we'll get the rifle set up right and then get on the load subject.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Spike

Just starting out myself, with a couple new CVA's. I too am very happy with these CVA's even though I haven't shot them yet!

I have a good background as a lifetime shooter and understood the breechplug issues and whatnot before I bought the rifles; I have a Southbend lathe in the next room, and bought a couple of extra breechplugs when I bought the guns. I'm not worried about any minor problems that may crop up.

The firing pin bushing can be a challenge. I was lucky to have a set of Brownell's bits, but it gets complicated. I was just fooling around and polishing toolmarks off my pin when I had trouble. I thought at first the screw slot was too shallow.

The firing pin is just long enough to keep the bit from bottoming out in the slot. When I get this posted I'll grind a slot in the center of the bit so that it can fit the slot. I'll order another bit for a spare.

The bit is Brownell's #340-3.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alpowa
Just starting out myself, with a couple new CVA's. I too am very happy with these CVA's even though I haven't shot them yet!

I have a good background as a lifetime shooter and understood the breechplug issues and whatnot before I bought the rifles; I have a Southbend lathe in the next room, and bought a couple of extra breechplugs when I bought the guns. I'm not worried about any minor problems that may crop up.

The firing pin bushing can be a challenge. I was lucky to have a set of Brownell's bits, but it gets complicated. I was just fooling around and polishing toolmarks off my pin when I had trouble. I thought at first the screw slot was too shallow.

The firing pin is just long enough to keep the bit from bottoming out in the slot. When I get this posted I'll grind a slot in the center of the bit so that it can fit the slot. I'll order another bit for a spare.

The bit is Brownell's #340-3.

Yep as you can see, the bushing isn't seated flush with the face of the frame. I had one "I forget which one" that was like that and i used a tiny screw driver " flat head" and was able to unscrew it by one "ear". I do this trick to ALL my break actions now.

Mike Bellm will be making us a shim kit for the CVA's that need to be shimmed. It lets the shooter screw down the bushing tight and tight after adjusting the head space correctly.http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...pem-clean.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.