Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura V2

Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Spike

Thumbs down CVA Accura V2

Just some feedback on a recent purchase if anyone is interested. Bought a CVA Accura from Cabelas a couple weeks ago. Based on research I had done and advice from a friend, I stocked up on Blackhorn powder. Took the gun to the range and had terrible firing. 75% of the time I got hang fires or no fires. Hard to tell how accurate it was with those issues. Called CVA and they said it was a known issue with Blackhorn. They had a special breech plug to solve the problem. I ordered a couple ($15 each). While I was waiting for those, I bought some 777 to test. Didn't have any ignition problems and tried 4 or 5 different bullet/sabot combos. Accuracy was reasonable, but not impressive. Groups were between 1 and 2 inches at 50 yards. After about 50 shots, the firing pin failed to strike the primer. Looked like the fouling from the firing pin had clogged up the firing pin hole. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and solvent until it would pop out again when I dropped the hammer. Worked for another 20 or 30 shots then got plugged up again. I called CVA and they said I needed a slotted thin screwdriver bit to remove it. They said I could make one or or they gave me a part number for Brownells. I made one and tried to remove it, but it was stuck tight. I buggered up the bushing trying to get it out. I stopped before I really damaged it so someone with the right tool could still remove it and sent it to CVA. Called them a week or two later to see how it was going. They acknowledged that they got it, but said that warranty work takes 6 to 8 weeks to repair. Not very happy with CVA right now. My opinion they should have included the alternate breech plug and tool to remove the firing pin bushing it they were known issues, plus included some instructions. Really not happy with 6 to 8 weeks to remove a screw. I would recommend a T/C.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow this is a different kind of post. Most of the Accura owners brag on how well their rifles shoot and function. Its nice to see the other side of the coin. I do not have a modern rifle such as yours. Unless you call my Genesis that. I had heard of the breech plug issue from other posters. I agree with your that a better plug should have been included with the rifle but you must understand that is a little more market share they have their with making it an option.

I hope they get the rifle back to you ASAP. Then you can do more testing. Maybe some of the Accura owners can share their loads with you and help you to cut out some of the guess work.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too late now it seems, but perhaps not. You learned that a slotted screw works best when a properly fitting driver is used. This is something i learned the hard way more than once. It doesn't seem to me that any rifle manufacturer includes screw drivers with their rifles. Firing pins sticking in the bushing because of fouling is something that happens with all rifles, and is avoided by proper cleaning procedure.

The problem of igniting BH with the CVA breech plugs is a known issue. Perhaps you would have been better informed of the 'known' issue, if some hadn't denied the problem existed.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

First off welcome to the forum, I dont know how much experience you have had with black powder shooting ,myself Im still a newbie but you didnt mention whether or not you shot off of a clean or fouled barrel and how often you swabbed between shots. Ive found with my Accura it shoots great with a variety of loads both T7 and BH. Also what primer are you using some primers are dirtier then others and cause more fouling. To really get some good backround read up in this forum and several others (Frontier Muzzleloading - MD ,also member here forum has a lot of Accura users) and you can get some good insight in how to get more from your Accura. Patience you only need one shot..

Last edited by gman57; 03-11-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should have come here before shooting the gun. None of your problems would have happen. There are fixes for all the problems you had. Easy fixes. You have one of the most accurate ML you can buy. Don't give up on it.

What bullets did you use and how much powder?

Make your same post here.

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/
Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...pem-clean.html
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Too late now it seems, but perhaps not. You learned that a slotted screw works best when a properly fitting driver is used. This is something i learned the hard way more than once. It doesn't seem to me that any rifle manufacturer includes screw drivers with their rifles. Firing pins sticking in the bushing because of fouling is something that happens with all rifles, and is avoided by proper cleaning procedure.

The problem of igniting BH with the CVA breech plugs is a known issue. Perhaps you would have been better informed of the 'known' issue, if some hadn't denied the problem existed.
Ron while i agree with your statement,CVA should indeed include a BH209 capable plug with there rifles considering how popular it is. there 6-8 week turn around time on repairs and such is horrible, seems this is becoming standard in the industry, easy fix is to hire more people to lesson that time.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

He didn't have a warranty problem. He just needed the proper screwdriver. Basic mechanical knowledge.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

A person buying a gun shouldn't have to read a forum before buying a gun.

I know of the issue with the stock plug and igniting bh209. In todays age and economy its a shame cva just doesn't include it to try to keep their customers happy. Customer service is big with myself and lots of people.

Last edited by sbuff; 03-11-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
.............................CVA should indeed include a BH209 capable plug with there rifles considering how popular it is. there 6-8 week turn around time on repairs and such is horrible, seems this is becoming standard in the industry, easy fix is to hire more people to lesson that time.
Perhaps you are correct; perhaps they will. It seems to me CVA may have erred about the popularity of BH209 coupled with the fact they are wanting folk to shoot them white hot pellet.

CVA could start tomorrow, and include the BH plug with the new rifles they package and ready for shipping. They could provide free BH plugs for all rifles with an earlier serial #.

One would think the new short light Accura will be shipped with the BH plug. I see no reason why it shouldn't. Oh wait, there is one possible reason; CVA wants more $$, and by charging $ for a plug that could have been included with the rifle, they get more $$. Some may respond that pellet shooters need the old style plug, but this is malarky. The new BH plug will handle pellets just fine, as does the Omega/Encore plug.

If i myself built rifles, i would guarantee them for life. However if a person sent one of my rifles back to me with a screw driver slot all buggered up, and wanted me to fix it for free, i wouldn't be so very happy. I admit i would fix it for free, but i definitely wouldn't be very concerned about time. Why is it i should be worried about how long a person that damaged one of my rifles should have to wait for me to fix damage, caused by his use of the incorrect tool? Why is it i should concern myself with rushing back the rifle to an individual that didn't properly clean my rifle that i did my best to make perfect, when i built it?

It is my understanding you are in business yourself. I suspect you yourself, are quite careful, and don't rush into hiring more help when ever you fall a little behind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.