Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
an eye opener on breechplugs >

an eye opener on breechplugs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

an eye opener on breechplugs

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default an eye opener on breechplugs

I going to originally send my old win apex (cva kodiak) breechplug to ron to be modified. I picked up an brand new one for it. started to clean up the old one up. noticed how much larger the flash hole was next to the new one. my jaw dropped. the flash hole on the old is around 3x to as much as 10x larger then the new.

needless to say, I am not sending the old one off now. after looking at it. it is well used. going to picked up another new one to have an unmodified plug.

side by side pic
left brand new right out of the package, right old plug

Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

Corey,

If you were going to have Ron install a replaceable vent liner, Why, Why Why, Why, would you not want the used plug updated??????????????

The enlarged vent hole will be totally removed by drilling and Tapping for the removable, vent.

As long as the external threads of the plug are good, using a replaceable vent will make it an everlasting plug.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, as Ken say, do.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow, that appears to be a great difference. What is the reason for the modification? To shoot black horn or just to extend the life of the plug?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that worn plug is modified, the eroded flash hole will be replaced with a vent liner which will have a flash hole size the same as the factory new breech plug. So, essentially the plug will be 'reborn'.

Another good result is, the vent can be removed each time the plug is cleaned; making cleaning the plug so very very easy.

If the vent is installed correctly, the plug will become quite BH friendly. The plug with a vent installed will be as good igniting BH, as the new made for BH plugs now sold by CVA.

Instructions for how to modify the cva plug to successfully burn BH can be found here.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well worth having Ron do your plug Corey.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ron, like i said in my pm, I want it to be done right the first time. if I go to do it, you may end up with it any way.

dave, I knew my breechplug was getting worn out but not that bad. kinda both. I am not an big fan of bh209, my win apex set it off fine but using an drill bit to clean out the flash hole worries me.

I want to give bh209 one more far trail.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why would you worry about using a drill bit to clean with? You just turn it by hand. It doesn't take out any metal.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

personal thing muley.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Bh209 or not, it doesn't hurt to use a drill bit anyway. The build up is from the primer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.