Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady SST/FTX bullets >

Hornady SST/FTX bullets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST/FTX bullets

Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Spike

Default Hornady SST/FTX bullets

OK, what's the bad rap on these bullets all about??

Out of my Mler the 250 gr FTX/SST is one of my most accurate loads.

I've only shot one deer with it, dropped her DRT at 120 yds, granted I did hit her right in the upper shoulder.

Yet I've read a lot of negative stuff on these bullets.

???bad expansion, poor penetration, what?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all...I know shockwaves and SSTs are the same bullet, but not sure about FTXs? I personally think FTXs seem to seperate from their jacket and fragment much more easily than either shockwaves/SSTs but my experience with them is limited.

My brother shot a big doe with a .45 FTX out of a blackpower revolver at close range and the bullet exploded when only hitting ribs. we only found tiny bits of it and no pass through but it definitely did more than enough damage...that was only at maybe 1200 fps! If he had hit shoulder it could have been ugly.

Shockwaves/SSTs are very often the most accurate muzzleloader bullet in a gun. I can hold 3/4" groups with them at 100 yards off sandbags with 110 grains of BH. I shot them once at 220 yards and got a 2-1/4" group. Their accuracy is frankly mindblowing to me.

The problem seems to come when people shoot a deer at 20 yards with a bullet moving at, say, 2200 FPS. From what I hear, they tend to come apart at that speed. Some say they don't expand at high speed but that is hard to believe. I think more likely they shed their jacket quickly and then leave a small exit hole.

I have shot several deer with 250 gr SSTs and never experienced this, but also wasn't shooting near 2200 fps at the time.

I will be using them again at some point because they are so crazy accurate but will be more careful of shot placement than I might with other bullets. No shooting a big buck at close range in the shoulder if he is quartering to me.

Without a doubt, there are other bullets out there that have better terminal performance. SSTs are not bad though, as long as you know what you are doing with them.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Spike

Hornady told me the only difference between the FTX and the SST is the composition of the tip. One is more rubber-like and the other plastic.

I'm not sure the Shockwaves are the same bullet.

I can say, between me and my friend, the Shockwaves are not close to as accurate as the FTX/SST's have proven.

I agree, the FTX/SST's are crazy accurate, we're getting consistant MOA groups with them and 100 gr BH209 OR 100 GR Shockey Gold.

Last edited by Thunder53; 02-27-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will be using them again at some point because they are so crazy accurate but will be more careful of shot placement than I might with other bullets. No shooting a big buck at close range in the shoulder if he is quartering to me.
That's not something I would do JoeRE, given your view on the bullet. Even under the best of circumstances and careful shot placement we sometimes don't hit where we wanted or thought we would.

Why give up the chance to take a big buck at close range or bad angle because you don't trust the bullet? As for me, I would give up an inch or three in 100 yard group size to use a bullet that I know will hold together, expand and penetrate at any range. For me that's the Speer Deep Curl. But there are others I would have full confidence in also.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each their own I guess...I also would hate to have a big buck at 150 yards and pass him because I don't know if my bullet can make it through the 5" gap in trees in front of his chest (talking hunting accuracy, not bench rest accuracy...)

I have confidence in an SST taking a deer down every time as long as I put the bullet against the ribs, not the shoulder or some raking shot. If I put the bullet somewhere else I consider it my fault, not the bullet.

No worries though, I am searching for a better bullet that is "close" to as accurate...it would get the nod.

Thats interesting Hornady admits the FTX and SST are the same, didn't know that!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

You might give the Barnes line a try. They are accurate as the dickens out of my brother-in-law's Omega and you'll never have to worry about performance on game.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have shot a lot of deer,boar and bear usually between 20 and 50 yds with 250 and 200grain Shock Waves and never had a problem but after reading some of the stuff people have put on the forum I switched to the bonded just for hunting the shoot exactly the same both group and POI and I have complete confidence in them and the 250 grain Deep Curl.I have had excellent results with the 185,200and 250 grain Lehigh also, and would use the 275 Lehigh on bigger game.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

I dont have a problem with them. I use them and love them.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont have a problem with them. I use them and love them.
Same here. The 250 grain SST/Shockwave has killed about 25 deer and an untold number of hogs for me. i never lost one; although a few were gutshot and there were some long tracking and dragging jobs.

Last fall i killed three deer with those bullets.

1. A doe was shot at about 140 yards, went down in her tracks and needed a coup de gras.

2. A doe shot at about 45 yards bang flopped.

3. A buck shot at about 80 yards bang flopped.

Last edited by falcon; 02-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well I have shot a lot of deer,boar and bear usually between 20 and 50 yds with 250 and 200grain Shock Waves and never had a problem but after reading some of the stuff people have put on the forum I switched to the bonded just for hunting the shoot exactly the same both group and POI and I have complete confidence in them and the 250 grain Deep Curl.I have had excellent results with the 185,200and 250 grain Lehigh also, and would use the 275 Lehigh on bigger game.
Careful with the bonded ones. From what I hear they don't expand worth huey on thin skinned game like deer...but I never have used them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.