Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
More on the fast twist issue >

More on the fast twist issue

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More on the fast twist issue

Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What sights would that be Ron?
My Soule sights and creedmore is that way. Even my Lyman peep can be used that way once the ranges are shot and marked on the sight . Even the no name ladder sight I have on a 451 would be be an example

Ps. I know, you were talking to Ron.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know, but most hunters don't have those on traditional ML hunting guns. I forgot what Ron uses. I saw his guns once.

I don't generally have time to mess with sights when i'm hunting. Then again, I don't take long shots.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I know, but most hunters don't have those on traditional ML hunting guns. I forgot what Ron uses. I saw his guns once.

I don't generally have time to mess with sights when i'm hunting. Then again, I don't take long shots.
The guns I saw of Rons had the Lyman 57 sights on them .

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rifles do have the Lyman 57 SML sights. A lot of guys think they don't have time to change sights. In that case if you know you will be shooting 100 yards or less set the sight at 100 yards. In the case of my 409 gr bullet. The highest the bullet will be above the line of sight with a 100 yard set on the sight would be 1.80" at 50 yards. At 125 yards it will be 3" low. If a guy just puts it on 100 and shoots for dead center your good to go on those, got to do it now shots.

Personally I have found that when I spot and stalk I have PLENTY of time to use my range finder get the range set the sight and take the shot. In the case of my antelope I shot I had the yardage set to the water hole and when he walked up I had the sight already set at 89 yards or close to it, and I just shot him.
The nice thing about the Lyman peep is it's versatility. You can use it as a fixed sight or a instantly adjustable vernier tang sight capable of long range shooting.

I don't normally take long shots either. But on one hunting trip a friend of mine wounded a buck. We both had tags so it was legal for both of us to shoot at this buck. My friend shot it and wounded it. The buck took off and we followed it up. I took a shot at 175 yards and hit him solid but it was still on his feet. My friend shot and the buck moved off un-hit by my friends low shot. I was reloaded and hit the buck again at 185 yards. The buck went down and stayed that way.
Had I not been able to set the sight for that yardage I would have probably missed like my friend did. But since I was able to to set the sight for that yardage the buck was not lost.

I don't think that the Lyman sight is the perfect sight for everyone. I do think that for my style of spot and stalk hunting they are the perfect sight for me. Case in point. In this picture I wasn't aiming at the milk jug, I was aiming at the label, the shot was 150 yards. Ron

Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, your recent posts with your new bullets have definitely fueled my thoughts some. It just looks like fun.
I was figuring if I got something like a Renegade I would end up also getting either the Lyman or the Williams FP sight.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if the Williams sight is instantly adjustable or not. Ron
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by idahoron
I don't know if the Williams sight is instantly adjustable or not. Ron
I have both the Lymans and williams. I would take the Lyman hands down. A much better and more versatile sight.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many of you have tried rifle bullets in sabots with much higher Ballistic Coefficients than the small fast pistol bullets that he did not like? It seems like the happy medium between the extremes...

For instance, I am looking at the 200 gr FTX in .358 with a 35/45 sabot in a 1:20 twist. It has a published BC of .30. I could get really crazy and go for a .35 Barnes TSX with a far higher BC if I wanted to.

Also, I get confused over what full bore conicals out there are designed for blackpowder cartridges, what conicals are for smokeless powder, and what bullets actually are designed for blackpowder muzzleloading...can I just buy bullets designed for blackpowder cartridge reloading and get good results?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:39 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by JoeRE
How many of you have tried rifle bullets in sabots with much higher Ballistic Coefficients than the small fast pistol bullets that he did not like? It seems like the happy medium between the extremes...

For instance, I am looking at the 200 gr FTX in .358 with a 35/45 sabot in a 1:20 twist. It has a published BC of .30. I could get really crazy and go for a .35 Barnes TSX with a far higher BC if I wanted to.

Also, I get confused over what full bore conicals out there are designed for blackpowder cartridges, what conicals are for smokeless powder, and what bullets actually are designed for blackpowder muzzleloading...can I just buy bullets designed for blackpowder cartridge reloading and get good results?
I'm not so sure you would get enough velocity for many of the rifle bullets to perform effectively.
Most blackpowder conicals are a pure , or soft lead while cartridge guns usually use a 20-1 or 30-1 lead that would be extremely hard or impossible to load in a muzzleloader. 30-1 would be the hardest I would try to load in a muzzleloader. Also many cartidge bullets have a brass gas check on the base which you dont really want either. The soft lead conical, especially a hollow base, expands into the rifling to creat a gas check.
But it never hurts to experiment.