Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Gander Mt. Experience >

Gander Mt. Experience

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gander Mt. Experience

Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gander Mt. Experience

We have a GM store in Amarillo TX. Have been in there several times. How they keep that place open is beyond me!

In the last 4 or 5 visits, I have been greeted once. One time I stood at the gun counter for about 4 minutes, 2 employees were behind the counter not helping customers (fiddling with boxes and knew I was there), and never got acknowledged or asked if I needed help.

Maybe I am being too picky, but I like to go into stores and be asked if I need help. I am done with that store.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Paul
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

One Gander Mountain I was in was about as you described. A different Gander Mountain in a different town was like night and day. They asked me if they could help, and even showed me where the things I was after were located. So I am guessing it has a lot to do with store attitude, and that normally boils down to management.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a Gander Mountain in Erie PA, about 50 miles from my home. I've been there a few times and I hate the store. I went there to buy some Rubber Huntong Boots in size 15, they looked at me like I was crazy, heck they did'nt even have a size 14 or a 13, just a 12.
I also needed a few other things, but there was'nt a thing in the store to fit me in XL-Tall. I do all my shopping at Cabela's
(BP)
Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

also I do like help when I need it, but if I DONT need any help I hate when they follow you all around and keep asking if they can show you something. I usually know exactly what I want so If I need help I'll ask, but quit bothering me and let me shop and look on my own,
(BP)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to go in there and ask them for black powder, after they point to where the subs are I point out that they don't have any...

It's fun being an old fart...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

if you want black powder from Gander, you better be looking for pellets..
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by the Razorhead
if you want black powder from Gander, you better be looking for pellets..
Huh???????
Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had similar experiences at the Cabela's store close to where I live. I do not like the bigger stores, but sometimes that is the only option.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Gander close to me is pretty good for service but just is not competitive price wise.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I was in their store in Wichita KS a few years back and had a good experience.

I try to business with independent business people as much as I can and stay out of the big box stores. Midsouth, Precision Reloading (when I was reloading metallics), Powder Valley (good price on subs and primers) to name a few. I will also be doing future business with Third Generation and Graf's.

I do buy many of my clothes from Cabela's because I am 6'4". Have for a long time. They have a good selection of tall man's clothes in XL.

I agree with cayugad, it depends on the store management and their attitude. I'm like Breechplug in that I don't like them following me around, but at least ask if they can help.

Everyone has a price. To me it is the service that separates them out. If they have price and service, that is about as good as it gets IMHO.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.