HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Just Got The GPR Flint (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/358927-just-got-gpr-flint.html)

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 10:50 AM

Just Got The GPR Flint

One advantage to buying from this guy wholesaling them out, is it's old stock. The new GPR's seem to have a bunch of problems that the older ones didn't seem to have. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be the case most of the time.

This gun being a left hand flint is not very popular, and i'm guessing it's old stock. It has that dark stain like they used to be. The newer ones that i've bought have been much lighter.

Anyway, so far i've found zero problems. The barrel fits perfect, and the wedges are nice and tight, but start easily by hand. The trigger is even adjusted right. I can't find a thing wrong with it cosmetically.

If it shoots straight, and the lock works good. I'm a happy camper.

I see dead deer in it's future. :)

MountainDevil54 02-21-2012 11:00 AM

'Ah see som'else in the near future :D

HHEHEHEH i just couldnt help it.

Blackpowdersmoke 02-21-2012 11:00 AM

Who did you buy it through?

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 11:38 AM

This guy. It's the 2nd one i've bought from him. He used to have plenty of all the models. His stock is getting low now.

He's not going to handle ML anymore, so he's selling these below cost to move them out.

$389 for a built GPR is below kit price.

http://store.thirdgenerationshooting...fm/2,4705.html

cayugad 02-21-2012 12:31 PM

same place I purchased my Great Plains HUNTER rifle in 50 caliber from. It also is a flint lock. Shame he don't have some barrels around.

bronko22000 02-21-2012 01:11 PM

And a shame he doesn't have any 54 flinters either.

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 04:10 PM

I'm ready. I took it all apart. Got the oil from hell out of the bore. Cleaned and polished up the lock and trigger. Changed the vent liner to a RMC. Changed to flint to the ones TOW sells, but I have some coming from Rich Pierce.

All I need now is the powder I ordered from Grafs, and some better weather.

Semisane 02-21-2012 04:17 PM

Good deal. That's exactly what I paid for my .54 GPR from Midsouth Shooters Supply in 2007. It also had the flat dark finish. Everything fit real well and it sparked just fine right out of the box. The only thing I did to it was wax the stock with furniture polish, replace the liner with one from RMC, and add a Lyman peep sight.

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3914128)
I'm ready. I took it all apart. Got the oil from hell out of the bore. Cleaned and polished up the lock and trigger. Changed the vent liner to a RMC. Changed to flint to the ones TOW sells, but I have some coming from Rich Pierce.

All I need now is the powder I ordered from Grafs, and some better weather.

Sounds like you are ready. I am too now. I even darkened the stock and got 4 coats of linseed oil worked into it. My flints were backordered so I only have the one it came with. We will have to compare notes. I plan on starting with 80 gr .Goex 490 ball and .018 patch and go from there. Let us know how it goes for you

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 04:23 PM

I thought of a peep, but the Lyman will be in the way of the cock. Does anybody else make one that doesn't overhang on the left side?

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3914135)
I thought of a peep, but the Lyman will be in the way of the cock. Does anybody else make one that doesn't overhang on the left side?

I use the 57 since I'm right handed but I bet a tang sight would work on that lefty

Semisane 02-21-2012 04:43 PM

The TC Hunter peep will fit. It's a good sight. You may have to add a shim between the sight base and the tang if you don't get the elevation you need. That's no big deal though. A 1/8" thick strip of brass from the hardware store will do it. Most hardwares have an assortment of brass and aluminum round, square and flat stock in twelve inch lengths and in various thicknesses and diameters. Mine has the 1/8" thick flat stock in 1/2" and 1" widths.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000307194

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 3914147)
The TC Hunter peep will fit. It's a good sight. You may have to add a shim between the sight base and the tang if you don't get the elevation you need. That's no big deal though. A 1/8" thick strip of brass from the hardware store will do it. Most hardwares have an assortment of brass and aluminum round, square and flat stock in twelve inch lengths and in various thicknesses and diameters. Mine has the 1/8" thick flat stock in 1/2" and 1" widths.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000307194

That should work, and I think the 57 might work without interfering even on the left hand model. I think I saw a picture of huntaeays and it was left-handed and had a 57 Lyman peep on it. Don't remember for sure. Maybe he will show up and let us know

Semisane 02-21-2012 04:54 PM

I think the 57 might work without interfering even on the left hand model.
I believe you are right Sharpsshooter. I just pulled my GPR out of the closet and looked at it. There's no way the Lyman 57 would interfere with the cock. It's a better sight than the TC in that it's a lot easier to adjust and change. It is bulkier though. I have the Lyman on my GPR and the TC on a Hawken. Given the choice, I would go with the Lyman.

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 04:55 PM

Huntaway don't you have a 57 peep on your lefty flintlock

HuntAway 02-21-2012 05:00 PM

The Lyman peep sight will work on the lefthand rifles no problem. There are two types. One is for the DeerStalker and the other is for the GPR. I have them on mine. The GPR sight has wedge that comess with it.

HA

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by HuntAway (Post 3914160)
The Lyman peep sight will work on the lefthand rifles no problem. There are two types. One is for the DeerStalker and the other is for the GPR. I have them on mine. The GPR sight has wedge that comess with it.

HA

Thanks. Someone be sure and tell my wife I was right for once. :)

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 05:07 PM

I didn't mean it wouldn't fit. It's just too bulky and modern looking.

I found this one from XS. Anybody seen one mounted?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156...ins-steel-blue

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 05:12 PM

Semi..........I found an old thread of your GPR with a homemade peep you made in the standard rear sight position. How did that work for you?

I'm trying to keep the gun as original as possible, but I need better sights. I'll use the stock primitive sight if I can't find a peep that doesn't look too bad. The Lyman 57 is horrible on a Hawken style gun IMO.

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3914164)
I didn't mean it wouldn't fit. It's just too bulky and modern looking.

I found this one from XS. Anybody seen one mounted?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156...ins-steel-blue

Daniel Boone would have gave a left part of his anatomy for one. If it's to modern better stick with a buckhorn sight

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 05:17 PM

When I turn 70 this Dec my BP club will let use a peep, but It still has to sort of fit in with the era.

It doesn't matter what Daniel would have done. It's what he did that counts. ;)

HuntAway 02-21-2012 05:31 PM

The drop on the tang will require a pretty good wedge for that short sight and an equally longer screw. The Lyman sight is made for the rifle with screw holes and wedge in the right spots.

I don't find it bulky and as far as modern goes, peep sights have been around for a long time.

I think a peep installed in the rear dovetail would be ok for target work but might have a pretty small field of view???

But hey, it's your rifle.:s4:

HA

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 05:44 PM

I understand peeps have been around a long time, but they didn't look like the 57. It's a modern sight. Ever see what the originals looked like?

This isn't just a hunting gun. I'm taking it to the rendezvous too. I want something compact.

I may have to stick to the stock sights, and shoot blurry. :(

I'll put one of those peeps on my glasses.

1874sharpsshooter 02-21-2012 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3914176)
. :(

I'll put one of those peeps on my glasses.

Now that's modern to modern for me. :biggrin:

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 06:01 PM

Just a piece of tape with a hole in it. At least the gun will look right. :)

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 06:04 PM

I could put on fiber optic sights, and cover them with some sort of removable black for the shoots. What could I use for black.

Do then make black finger nail polish? Where's Jon? He should know about finger nail polish.

Semisane 02-21-2012 06:04 PM

Semi..........I found an old thread of your GPR with a homemade peep you made in the standard rear sight position. How did that work for you?
It worked just fine for hunting applications Muley. Mounted at the rear sight position, and with a large aperture, it's not as precise for target work as a tang mounted peep. Also, it didn't have the fine adjustments of the 57 peep. But a forward mounted large peep is all you would need for hunting.

Here's the one I made by soldering a rounded nut from the hardware store to the factory sight, and making apertures using regular hex bolts. Actually, you could just cut the ears off of the sight and solder a small washer to it.

HuntAway 02-21-2012 06:04 PM

Then why not compromise? Set it up "modern" for your elk hunt then for Rendes switch back to the stock sights.

Those ghost sights look pretty modern too.:biggrin:

HA

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 06:07 PM

Did you have to use a taller front sight? You're moving the front sight higher in the sight picture.

Semisane 02-21-2012 06:13 PM

Or you can make a simple Lollypop sight using a thumb screw and knurled nut from the hardware store. Get a thread that fits the threads in the center hole of your tang. Get two or three thumb screws and drill different size holes in them - small for target work and large for hunting.

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 06:15 PM

That looks like something Coyote Joe would make.
That's what i'm talking about. Perfect.

Semisane 02-21-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3914202)
That looks like something Coyote Joe would make.
That's what i'm talking about. Perfect.

No windage adjustment though, except drifting the front sight.

Muley Hunter 02-21-2012 06:38 PM

Drifting the front sight is fine. Once it's sighted in there's no need to touch it again.

My shots will be in the 50-60 yd range. I don't need target accuracy.

I'm really thinking about these. I know it goes against what I said about modern sights, but if I blacken them up I can live with it. FO sights really work for me in all light conditions.

Very easy to black out the FO part for shoots. What do you think?

http://lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/fiber-optic.php

Blackpowdersmoke 02-21-2012 08:35 PM

$389.00 + Shp. sounds pretty good and I know I'm gonna P*** you Lyman boys off, but before I spend that kinda money on a NEW Lyman GPR, I would wait for the chance to buy a good, clean, USED T/C flinter for around the same $$$ before I buy a new Lyman. Buy one of each and wait 10 yrs....see which one is worth more.

BPS

MountainDevil54 02-21-2012 08:53 PM

Just discussed this on another forum. TC's are a dime a dozen these days, they sit and sit until you drop the price on them down to around $225-$250 for a .45 or 50cal percussion. $300 maybe a bit more for flintlock. Normally the bores are scared up good as well. The trend these days are the old CVA Mountain Rifles. Its getting extremely hard to buy them under $350 these days. They are holding higher values than both the TC and Lymans. Best part, you can still order the 45 50 54 and 58cal barrels for the Mountain Rifles.

HuntAway 02-22-2012 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 3914264)
$389.00 + Shp. sounds pretty good and I know I'm gonna P*** you Lyman boys off, but before I spend that kinda money on a NEW Lyman GPR, I would wait for the chance to buy a good, clean, USED T/C flinter for around the same $$$ before I buy a new Lyman. Buy one of each and wait 10 yrs....see which one is worth more.

BPS

If we were a righthanded shooter that would be an option. If you're a lefty flintlock shooter your options don't include TC's.

I do have a LH Renegade caplock.

HA

Muley Hunter 02-22-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 3914264)

BPS

A few things wrong with your idea.

The GPR is as a production gets to a real Hawken. The TC copies nothing.

The Lyman has a PRB twist. The TC doesn't.

The Lyman is more accurate.

The Lyman offers flint and lefty hand. The TC doesn't anymore.

All TC guns whether they're inlines or sidelocks slap my cheek. Lyman's don't.

Why buy used when for the same price I can get new? Used ML are always risky. Guys don't take care of them.

Who cares what a gun will be worth in 10 years? I'm almost 70. Mine will be worth what I paid for a long time. I bought it $200 cheaper than the going street price.

TC's are overpriced, and I don't see anything special about them.

Enough reasons?

TNHagies 02-22-2012 07:21 AM

I have no dog in this fight but..

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3914342)
A few things wrong with your idea.

The GPR is as a production gets to a real Hawken. The TC copies nothing. - Do deer or elk really care what is period correct? If you care, then that's fine but it only makes it your opinion.

The Lyman has a PRB twist. The TC doesn't. - GM has a ton of drop in barrels in a lot of twist rates and calibers.

The Lyman is more accurate. - BS, I've owned both and know guys that have both. This is an absurd statement.

The Lyman offers flint and lefty hand. The TC doesn't anymore. - This is your only valid argument if you're in the minority of those who are left handed and wish to own a production flintlock.

All TC guns whether they're inlines or sidelocks slap my cheek. Lyman's don't. - Learn to hold the gun correctly.

Why buy used when for the same price I can get new? Used ML are always risky. Guys don't take care of them. - I buy used MLs all the time and I don't think I've ever taken a risk. Inspect it before you buy it.

Who cares what a gun will be worth in 10 years? I'm almost 70. Mine will be worth what I paid for a long time. I bought it $200 cheaper than the going street price.

TC's are overpriced, and I don't see anything special about them.

Enough reasons?

I know you're old and stubborn but it'd help your standing with others if you'd open your mind just a miniscule amount.

Muley Hunter 02-22-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by TNHagies (Post 3914358)
I have no dog in this fight but..

I know you're old and stubborn but it'd help your standing with others if you'd open your mind just a miniscule amount.

Listen, I was told I made a mistake, and I should have bought a TC. I explained why I didn't. It matters little to me if you don't agree, but let me go over a few points you disagree on.

"The GPR is as a production gets to a real Hawken. The TC copies nothing. - Do deer or elk really care what is period correct? If you care, then that's fine but it only makes it your opinion."

My answer....No deer and elk don't care, but they aren't buying the gun. I am, and it does matter to me. It also matters when I go to BP shoots. I wasn't trying to satisfy anybody but myself when I bought the GPR. Especially since I was the one paying for it.

"The Lyman has a PRB twist. The TC doesn't. - GM has a ton of drop in barrels in a lot of twist rates and calibers."

My answer..... So, you think spending over $200 for an aftermarket barrel is equal to using the barrel that comes with the GPR? I put a GM 1-70 barrel in a Renegade. I shot an elk with it last year. It didn't shoot any better than a GPR. You made no point on this one.

"The Lyman is more accurate. - BS, I've owned both and know guys that have both. This is an absurd statement."

My answer...I've owned both too. I stand by my statement. So does this shoot out. He may have chose the TC as an overall pick. His personal pick. Not everybodies. However, see which one he says is more accurate. Maybe you don't know how to hold the GPR? :biggrin:

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/18_6...les5339-1.html

"The Lyman offers flint and lefty hand. The TC doesn't anymore. - This is your only valid argument if you're in the minority of those who are left handed and wish to own a production flintlock."

My answer.....All my points are valid.

"All TC guns whether they're inlines or sidelocks slap my cheek. Lyman's don't. - Learn to hold the gun correctly."

My answer.... This one is funny. I can hold a GPR ok, but not TC's? Whatever you say slick."

"Why buy used when for the same price I can get new? Used ML are always risky. Guys don't take care of them. - I buy used MLs all the time and I don't think I've ever taken a risk. Inspect it before you buy it."

My answer.... No need to inspect a new gun. No used guns in my small town. Not even a gun shop. How do you suggest I inspect a used gun bought online?