Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just Got The GPR Flint >

Just Got The GPR Flint

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just Got The GPR Flint

Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

That looks like something Coyote Joe would make.
That's what i'm talking about. Perfect.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 02-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That looks like something Coyote Joe would make.
That's what i'm talking about. Perfect.
No windage adjustment though, except drifting the front sight.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Drifting the front sight is fine. Once it's sighted in there's no need to touch it again.

My shots will be in the 50-60 yd range. I don't need target accuracy.

I'm really thinking about these. I know it goes against what I said about modern sights, but if I blacken them up I can live with it. FO sights really work for me in all light conditions.

Very easy to black out the FO part for shoots. What do you think?

http://lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/fiber-optic.php
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

$389.00 + Shp. sounds pretty good and I know I'm gonna P*** you Lyman boys off, but before I spend that kinda money on a NEW Lyman GPR, I would wait for the chance to buy a good, clean, USED T/C flinter for around the same $$$ before I buy a new Lyman. Buy one of each and wait 10 yrs....see which one is worth more.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-21-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Just discussed this on another forum. TC's are a dime a dozen these days, they sit and sit until you drop the price on them down to around $225-$250 for a .45 or 50cal percussion. $300 maybe a bit more for flintlock. Normally the bores are scared up good as well. The trend these days are the old CVA Mountain Rifles. Its getting extremely hard to buy them under $350 these days. They are holding higher values than both the TC and Lymans. Best part, you can still order the 45 50 54 and 58cal barrels for the Mountain Rifles.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
$389.00 + Shp. sounds pretty good and I know I'm gonna P*** you Lyman boys off, but before I spend that kinda money on a NEW Lyman GPR, I would wait for the chance to buy a good, clean, USED T/C flinter for around the same $$$ before I buy a new Lyman. Buy one of each and wait 10 yrs....see which one is worth more.

BPS
If we were a righthanded shooter that would be an option. If you're a lefty flintlock shooter your options don't include TC's.

I do have a LH Renegade caplock.

HA
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke

BPS
A few things wrong with your idea.

The GPR is as a production gets to a real Hawken. The TC copies nothing.

The Lyman has a PRB twist. The TC doesn't.

The Lyman is more accurate.

The Lyman offers flint and lefty hand. The TC doesn't anymore.

All TC guns whether they're inlines or sidelocks slap my cheek. Lyman's don't.

Why buy used when for the same price I can get new? Used ML are always risky. Guys don't take care of them.

Who cares what a gun will be worth in 10 years? I'm almost 70. Mine will be worth what I paid for a long time. I bought it $200 cheaper than the going street price.

TC's are overpriced, and I don't see anything special about them.

Enough reasons?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no dog in this fight but..

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A few things wrong with your idea.

The GPR is as a production gets to a real Hawken. The TC copies nothing. - Do deer or elk really care what is period correct? If you care, then that's fine but it only makes it your opinion.

The Lyman has a PRB twist. The TC doesn't. - GM has a ton of drop in barrels in a lot of twist rates and calibers.

The Lyman is more accurate. - BS, I've owned both and know guys that have both. This is an absurd statement.

The Lyman offers flint and lefty hand. The TC doesn't anymore. - This is your only valid argument if you're in the minority of those who are left handed and wish to own a production flintlock.

All TC guns whether they're inlines or sidelocks slap my cheek. Lyman's don't. - Learn to hold the gun correctly.

Why buy used when for the same price I can get new? Used ML are always risky. Guys don't take care of them. - I buy used MLs all the time and I don't think I've ever taken a risk. Inspect it before you buy it.

Who cares what a gun will be worth in 10 years? I'm almost 70. Mine will be worth what I paid for a long time. I bought it $200 cheaper than the going street price.

TC's are overpriced, and I don't see anything special about them.

Enough reasons?
I know you're old and stubborn but it'd help your standing with others if you'd open your mind just a miniscule amount.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I have no dog in this fight but..

I know you're old and stubborn but it'd help your standing with others if you'd open your mind just a miniscule amount.
Listen, I was told I made a mistake, and I should have bought a TC. I explained why I didn't. It matters little to me if you don't agree, but let me go over a few points you disagree on.

"The GPR is as a production gets to a real Hawken. The TC copies nothing. - Do deer or elk really care what is period correct? If you care, then that's fine but it only makes it your opinion."

My answer....No deer and elk don't care, but they aren't buying the gun. I am, and it does matter to me. It also matters when I go to BP shoots. I wasn't trying to satisfy anybody but myself when I bought the GPR. Especially since I was the one paying for it.

"The Lyman has a PRB twist. The TC doesn't. - GM has a ton of drop in barrels in a lot of twist rates and calibers."

My answer..... So, you think spending over $200 for an aftermarket barrel is equal to using the barrel that comes with the GPR? I put a GM 1-70 barrel in a Renegade. I shot an elk with it last year. It didn't shoot any better than a GPR. You made no point on this one.

"The Lyman is more accurate. - BS, I've owned both and know guys that have both. This is an absurd statement."

My answer...I've owned both too. I stand by my statement. So does this shoot out. He may have chose the TC as an overall pick. His personal pick. Not everybodies. However, see which one he says is more accurate. Maybe you don't know how to hold the GPR?

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/18_6...les5339-1.html

"The Lyman offers flint and lefty hand. The TC doesn't anymore. - This is your only valid argument if you're in the minority of those who are left handed and wish to own a production flintlock."

My answer.....All my points are valid.

"All TC guns whether they're inlines or sidelocks slap my cheek. Lyman's don't. - Learn to hold the gun correctly."

My answer.... This one is funny. I can hold a GPR ok, but not TC's? Whatever you say slick."

"Why buy used when for the same price I can get new? Used ML are always risky. Guys don't take care of them. - I buy used MLs all the time and I don't think I've ever taken a risk. Inspect it before you buy it."

My answer.... No need to inspect a new gun. No used guns in my small town. Not even a gun shop. How do you suggest I inspect a used gun bought online?