Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just Got The GPR Flint >

Just Got The GPR Flint

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just Got The GPR Flint

Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I turn 70 this Dec my BP club will let use a peep, but It still has to sort of fit in with the era.

It doesn't matter what Daniel would have done. It's what he did that counts.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The drop on the tang will require a pretty good wedge for that short sight and an equally longer screw. The Lyman sight is made for the rifle with screw holes and wedge in the right spots.

I don't find it bulky and as far as modern goes, peep sights have been around for a long time.

I think a peep installed in the rear dovetail would be ok for target work but might have a pretty small field of view???

But hey, it's your rifle.

HA
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand peeps have been around a long time, but they didn't look like the 57. It's a modern sight. Ever see what the originals looked like?

This isn't just a hunting gun. I'm taking it to the rendezvous too. I want something compact.

I may have to stick to the stock sights, and shoot blurry.

I'll put one of those peeps on my glasses.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

I'll put one of those peeps on my glasses.
Now that's modern to modern for me.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a piece of tape with a hole in it. At least the gun will look right.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could put on fiber optic sights, and cover them with some sort of removable black for the shoots. What could I use for black.

Do then make black finger nail polish? Where's Jon? He should know about finger nail polish.
Boone & Crockett

Semi..........I found an old thread of your GPR with a homemade peep you made in the standard rear sight position. How did that work for you?
It worked just fine for hunting applications Muley. Mounted at the rear sight position, and with a large aperture, it's not as precise for target work as a tang mounted peep. Also, it didn't have the fine adjustments of the 57 peep. But a forward mounted large peep is all you would need for hunting.

Here's the one I made by soldering a rounded nut from the hardware store to the factory sight, and making apertures using regular hex bolts. Actually, you could just cut the ears off of the sight and solder a small washer to it.

Nontypical Buck

Then why not compromise? Set it up "modern" for your elk hunt then for Rendes switch back to the stock sights.

Those ghost sights look pretty modern too.

HA
Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you have to use a taller front sight? You're moving the front sight higher in the sight picture.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Or you can make a simple Lollypop sight using a thumb screw and knurled nut from the hardware store. Get a thread that fits the threads in the center hole of your tang. Get two or three thumb screws and drill different size holes in them - small for target work and large for hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.