Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just Got The GPR Flint >

Just Got The GPR Flint

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just Got The GPR Flint

Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought of a peep, but the Lyman will be in the way of the cock. Does anybody else make one that doesn't overhang on the left side?
I use the 57 since I'm right handed but I bet a tang sight would work on that lefty

Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The TC Hunter peep will fit. It's a good sight. You may have to add a shim between the sight base and the tang if you don't get the elevation you need. That's no big deal though. A 1/8" thick strip of brass from the hardware store will do it. Most hardwares have an assortment of brass and aluminum round, square and flat stock in twelve inch lengths and in various thicknesses and diameters. Mine has the 1/8" thick flat stock in 1/2" and 1" widths.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000307194
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
The TC Hunter peep will fit. It's a good sight. You may have to add a shim between the sight base and the tang if you don't get the elevation you need. That's no big deal though. A 1/8" thick strip of brass from the hardware store will do it. Most hardwares have an assortment of brass and aluminum round, square and flat stock in twelve inch lengths and in various thicknesses and diameters. Mine has the 1/8" thick flat stock in 1/2" and 1" widths.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...?sku=000307194
That should work, and I think the 57 might work without interfering even on the left hand model. I think I saw a picture of huntaeays and it was left-handed and had a 57 Lyman peep on it. Don't remember for sure. Maybe he will show up and let us know

Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the 57 might work without interfering even on the left hand model.
I believe you are right Sharpsshooter. I just pulled my GPR out of the closet and looked at it. There's no way the Lyman 57 would interfere with the cock. It's a better sight than the TC in that it's a lot easier to adjust and change. It is bulkier though. I have the Lyman on my GPR and the TC on a Hawken. Given the choice, I would go with the Lyman.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-21-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Huntaway don't you have a 57 peep on your lefty flintlock

Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lyman peep sight will work on the lefthand rifles no problem. There are two types. One is for the DeerStalker and the other is for the GPR. I have them on mine. The GPR sight has wedge that comess with it.

HA
Old 02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by HuntAway
The Lyman peep sight will work on the lefthand rifles no problem. There are two types. One is for the DeerStalker and the other is for the GPR. I have them on mine. The GPR sight has wedge that comess with it.

HA
Thanks. Someone be sure and tell my wife I was right for once.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't mean it wouldn't fit. It's just too bulky and modern looking.

I found this one from XS. Anybody seen one mounted?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156...ins-steel-blue
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Semi..........I found an old thread of your GPR with a homemade peep you made in the standard rear sight position. How did that work for you?

I'm trying to keep the gun as original as possible, but I need better sights. I'll use the stock primitive sight if I can't find a peep that doesn't look too bad. The Lyman 57 is horrible on a Hawken style gun IMO.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I didn't mean it wouldn't fit. It's just too bulky and modern looking.

I found this one from XS. Anybody seen one mounted?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156...ins-steel-blue
Daniel Boone would have gave a left part of his anatomy for one. If it's to modern better stick with a buckhorn sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.