Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just Got The GPR Flint >

Just Got The GPR Flint

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just Got The GPR Flint

Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just Got The GPR Flint

One advantage to buying from this guy wholesaling them out, is it's old stock. The new GPR's seem to have a bunch of problems that the older ones didn't seem to have. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be the case most of the time.

This gun being a left hand flint is not very popular, and i'm guessing it's old stock. It has that dark stain like they used to be. The newer ones that i've bought have been much lighter.

Anyway, so far i've found zero problems. The barrel fits perfect, and the wedges are nice and tight, but start easily by hand. The trigger is even adjusted right. I can't find a thing wrong with it cosmetically.

If it shoots straight, and the lock works good. I'm a happy camper.

I see dead deer in it's future.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

'Ah see som'else in the near future

HHEHEHEH i just couldnt help it.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who did you buy it through?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

This guy. It's the 2nd one i've bought from him. He used to have plenty of all the models. His stock is getting low now.

He's not going to handle ML anymore, so he's selling these below cost to move them out.

$389 for a built GPR is below kit price.

http://store.thirdgenerationshooting...fm/2,4705.html
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

same place I purchased my Great Plains HUNTER rifle in 50 caliber from. It also is a flint lock. Shame he don't have some barrels around.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

And a shame he doesn't have any 54 flinters either.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm ready. I took it all apart. Got the oil from hell out of the bore. Cleaned and polished up the lock and trigger. Changed the vent liner to a RMC. Changed to flint to the ones TOW sells, but I have some coming from Rich Pierce.

All I need now is the powder I ordered from Grafs, and some better weather.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good deal. That's exactly what I paid for my .54 GPR from Midsouth Shooters Supply in 2007. It also had the flat dark finish. Everything fit real well and it sparked just fine right out of the box. The only thing I did to it was wax the stock with furniture polish, replace the liner with one from RMC, and add a Lyman peep sight.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm ready. I took it all apart. Got the oil from hell out of the bore. Cleaned and polished up the lock and trigger. Changed the vent liner to a RMC. Changed to flint to the ones TOW sells, but I have some coming from Rich Pierce.

All I need now is the powder I ordered from Grafs, and some better weather.
Sounds like you are ready. I am too now. I even darkened the stock and got 4 coats of linseed oil worked into it. My flints were backordered so I only have the one it came with. We will have to compare notes. I plan on starting with 80 gr .Goex 490 ball and .018 patch and go from there. Let us know how it goes for you

Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought of a peep, but the Lyman will be in the way of the cock. Does anybody else make one that doesn't overhang on the left side?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.