Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conical In A GPR?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Conical In A GPR?

I'm ok shooting a PRB for muley's. I'm not ok shooting a .50 PRB for elk. It might work, but it might not too.

So, i'm not interested in getting another barrel for elk. I thought maybe I could get a conical working in the 1-60 barrel.

The obvious first choice is the PA Conical 240gr. Anybody try these in a GPR? Slow twist reviews only please.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730...rain-box-of-50

My next choice I was thinking about is a shorter maxi ball in 275gr. Anybody try these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/969...c=S016ID730932
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muley, I have a box of the PA conicals and I can send you 10 or so to try. Send me a pm with your name and address and I will get them out to you. The PA conical was made specifically for shooting out of a slow twist so they may work out good for you.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Muley, I have a box of the PA conicals and I can send you 10 or so to try. Send me a pm with your name and address and I will get them out to you. The PA conical was made specifically for shooting out of a slow twist so they may work out good for you.
I'll do that bud, but I just found out that Hornady is discontinuing the bullet. No demand anymore. Not even in PA. I guess they can use any bullet in flint season. What a shame.

If they work. There 's plenty of stock left to buy out.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'll do that bud, but I just found out that Hornady is discontinuing the bullet. No demand anymore. Not even in PA. I guess they can use any bullet in flint season. What a shame.

If they work. There 's plenty of stock left to buy out.
Curious, where did you here about the discontinuing of the PA conical?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hornady said it. Inline shooters don't use them, and they are PA Conicals. They don't have use them either anymore.

I'm talking about the majority not using them. They still sell some, but I guess not enough to justify making them anymore.

Slow twist ML shooter are in a very small minority now. Most of us will be shooting a PRB. Hornady sells lots of those.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Even though you aren't interested, a 54 cal 1:32 barrel to drop in is a better option. Mine shoots the 425 gr hornady Gp bullet with superb accuracy.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're right. I'm not interested.

I know the limitations of a PRB, and I accept them. I wish others would feel the same. No matter what the weapon.

Here's a post I just read on another forum. It echos how I feel. Don't take this personally. It's aimed at everybody.

"For me, at least, a big part of the fun of blackpowder is getting close. If I want to snipe at game from the next county, I'll buy a sniper rifle, I guess. Blackpowder -- especially traditional blackpowder -- is an intentional handicap, much as is a handgun, a bow, or even a spear or knife, for the intrepid gentlemen who choose that route. Intentionally handicapping yourself and then ignoring those handicaps doesn't make any sense to me.

I personally think that trying to push the limits of your choice of weapons is a poor practice, whether it's a 500 yard rifle shot, a 150 yard revolver shot, or a 50 yard bow shot. Few if any of us are subsistence hunters, and placing game animals at significant risk of lingering, painful death simply to satisfy our egos or need for entertainment is, well, a bad thing."
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

These should fit your bill.

http://www.prbullet.com/shop/product....php?sSKU=0103

I tried them in my .50 GPR flintlock. The accuracy wasn't all that great but I really didn't give them a fair ringing out. They come 12 per pkg. At 50 yd I was getting a 6 inch group. I'm sure with a caplock you could tighten that up.

HA
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine is a flint, but it all doesn't matter now. I found what I was looking for.

Greenmtnboy is a friend of mine. I should have asked him. I always thought he shot bigger calibers.

I'll be sticking to a PRB.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...hp?tid/212140/
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know the limitations of a PRB, and I accept them. I wish others would feel the same. No matter what the weapon.
A little inconsistency there Muley.

You wish others would accept the limitations of a PRB,

yet you're looking for something heavier yourself.

I don't blame you. Why use a .50 ball for elk when there are better projectiles more suited to the task.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.