Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conical In A GPR?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semi,
I wasn't sure about the power of a PRB for elk. I would still have used the same limitations for a conical. Just a little more insurance is all.

Lets face it. My limitation is the iron sights with my eyesight. Not the bullet.

With that said. Even when I had great vision (much younger), and using a 30-06. I still shot close.

Nothing inconsistent about me. I always shoot well below what my weapon is capable of, because I love getting close. More challenge. More fun. However, even getting close. I still want to know my weapon has enough power to make a humane shot. I wasn't sure about the .50 PRB. I am now.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Mine is a flint, but it all doesn't matter now. I found what I was looking for.

Greenmtnboy is a friend of mine. I should have asked him. I always thought he shot bigger calibers.

I'll be sticking to a PRB.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...hp?tid/212140/
Keep it close and put it where it belongs and all will be good.

HA
Old 02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
1874sharpsshooter

[QUOTE=Muley Hunter;3913581]You're right. I'm not interested.

QUOTE]

A drop in 54 barrel in 1:32 is better than a 270

Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=1874sharpsshooter;3913659]
Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You're right. I'm not interested.

QUOTE]

A drop in 54 barrel in 1:32 is better than a 270
Debatable.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that trying to shoot a projectile that your barrel isn't designed for is what I would call "pushing the limits".
If you are going to shoot conicals get a barrel or gun designed to do that. It will work best at whatever range you will be shooting at.
Of course if you are going to be stubborn.... then the shortest conical you can find that is sized for your barrel is what would most likely work best in that slow twist barrel.
Just my Opinion
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flounder33
I think that trying to shoot a projectile that your barrel isn't designed for is what I would call "pushing the limits".
If you are going to shoot conicals get a barrel or gun designed to do that. It will work best at whatever range you will be shooting at.
Of course if you are going to be stubborn.... then the shortest conical you can find that is sized for your barrel is what would most likely work best in that slow twist barrel.
Just my Opinion
Have you read the thread?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Twice.
In my opinion length of shot is not the only way to push the limits of something. With the wrong bullet for the barrel 25 yards could be too long of a shot.
Lyman makes it easy, all you have to buy is a drop in barrel.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flounder33
Twice.
In my opinion length of shot is not the only way to push the limits of something. With the wrong bullet for the barrel 25 yards could be too long of a shot.
Lyman makes it easy, all you have to buy is a drop in barrel.
I just don't know why you called me stubborn when I said I was going to shoot a PRB? I didn't buy the GPR to shoot conicals, or I would have bought the GPH. Once I found out the .50 PRB is fine for elk. I was satisfied I bought the right gun.

btw If you measure a PA conical you'll see the length is well within a 1-60 twist barrel.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry den, I hope they shoot great for you.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Otay...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.