Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Electra Range Report >

Electra Range Report

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Electra Range Report

Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Electra Range Report

Target #1
At 25 yards and after adjusting the scope to get close to the bulls eye I thought I might have something going so I moved out to 50 yards. Targets #1 through #5 were shot using a 10 mm, 200 grain Hornady XTP and a Harvester Blue Crush Rib sabot.

Target #2
After shot #1 I adjusted the scope and almost put the shot dead center. Target #1 and #2 were shot with 1 Pyrodex pellet. So now I thought the scope was set well enough to move on to Blackhorn with a Pyrodex booster.

Target#3
For this target I stayed at 50 yards but switched to 80 grains Blackhorn with a 5 grain booster of Pyrodex.

Target #4
As you can see from Target #3, with the change and increased amount of powder, my point of impact rose significantly. So I adjusted the scope and shot this target with the same load.

Target#5
After shooting Target #4 I figured it was good enough to move out to 100 yards.

Target#6
Target #5 was not looking too good so I decided to switch to my hunting bullet, A240 grain Hornady XTP in a Thompson Center Mag Express sabot.

Target #7
Things were not coming together but I didn't want to give up on the load just yet and shot another target.
Dang! I thought I might have something with a scope adjustment.

Target #8
This is when things fell apart. I mean my scope, I believe. I noticed that the cross hairs were not level and I had to level them. But they were level when I started and the scope was tight in the rings.

Target #9
After Target #8 I added 20 grains of Blackhorn to make a total of 100 grains.

Target #10
I was getting tired and figured that was the reason for the bad groups so I figured it was time to go home after a couple more shots with a 5 grain Pyrodex booster under 100 grains of Blackhorn 209.
After taking the rifle apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together I noticed that the cross hairs had shifted again. I think The scope died on me.

Last edited by pluckit; 02-09-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Vision?? or Electra?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Vision?? or Electra?
That was my first question too. Also, I don't shoot BH209 because over 90% of my shooting is done with sidelocks but from the reports I've seen, it works best with heavy charges (100-120 grs).
Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK! I finished editing my report! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I was under the impression that BlackHorn was not a recommended powder. Just curious to know what made you try it?

Do you now feel the scope failed and was causing the problem? Are you going to use a new scope?

How was the trigger? As good as they claim it is?

I was under the impression that the Electra was easy to clean. How was the clean up?

Are you going to try some other projectiles other then the light ones?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Must have been frustrating.

How's the ignition, any delay,etc?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Dave, shot mine Sunday. The trigger is comparable to a Knight bolt gun IMO ie very good. It's the easiest cleanup I've ever had with a muzzleloader and I was shooting Goex. Mine didn't shoot very good but I only tried a couple of combo's.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Nimrodder
Dave, shot mine Sunday. The trigger is comparable to a Knight bolt gun IMO ie very good. It's the easiest cleanup I've ever had with a muzzleloader and I was shooting Goex. Mine didn't shoot very good but I only tried a couple of combo's.
The clean up part is good to hear. I am sure it is a matter of time before you find the right combination.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I was under the impression that BlackHorn was not a recommended powder. Just curious to know what made you try it?
It was the powder that I had the most of and other reports were of people using it with a booster so I wanted to try it.

Do you now feel the scope failed and was causing the problem? Are you going to use a new scope?
Yes, I do.

How was the trigger? As good as they claim it is?
The trigger has a lot of travel in it but is very light. With that much travel in it, it's guesswork figuring when the rifle will fire.

I was under the impression that the Electra was easy to clean. How was the clean up? I worked my tail off getting the cement like residue, from what I believe to be from the combination of the two powders, off of the breech plug and from the inside of the breech plug threads. I don't think I will be trying black horn with a Pyrodex booster again.

Are you going to try some other projectiles other then the light ones?
I will try some other bullets but I hope to get the .45 caliber, 240 grain XTP to shoot good. That is my go to bullet. I was just using the light ones to get the rifle shooting close to the bulls eye.

Last edited by pluckit; 02-09-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 3seasons
Must have been frustrating.

How's the ignition, any delay,etc?
There was no delay. I did have one time where the rifle failed to fire. It fired on the second try though. There were no other ignition problems out of the nearly 40 rounds fired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.