Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
teflon tape question >

teflon tape question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

teflon tape question

Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
Gents,

This is all great information. I am convinced. I will use the teflon this weekend.
In that case... here are a few pictures for you...

Wrapping a plug correctly really does take some practice, it is much easier to grease, but with practice and a clean BP you will get the hang of it in a few trys...

Be sure and overwrap the nose of the plug a bit + wrap it in the right direction...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader,

Once again you have proven to be a wealth of knowledge about all things related to muzzleloading. You are also a gentleman. Thanks for the pictures. I am going to wrap the plug tonight.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Spike

Hmmmm. I was just told by my gunsmith not to use teflon tape, because it would not take the high temperature. Then I read this thread. Sounds like you guys don't have that problem. Could there be a difference if use on a traditional? He is pulling the breach plug on my traditional barrel and I thought teflon would be a good suggestion.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Mustanger,
When your gunsmith states "..it would not take the high temperature." I guess he might be correct if the the breech plug is going to be installed for long periods of time....like for 5 years! But for the short term, between shooting sessions (hunting or targets), it works like magic. I'm fairly new to this sport (about 5 years) and have never used anything other than the pink stuff.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use tape on my in-lines. But I'm not so sure it would be the right choice for the fixed breech plug of a traditional rifle. Why the heck are you pulling the breech plug on a traditional gun anyway?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hubby11
Depending on your ML and breech plug, you may need the pink tape, you may need the white. I have an Omega and brought the pink but found it was too thick. The white works fine for me.

Pink is too thick for my Omega. I use white too.

Good luck.

Paul
Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one rifle that the breech plug freezes 100% of the time with grease only. One or two shots and the breech plug will back out 1/4 turn then lock up like it is welded. Takes an impact wrench to remove it every time!
With teflon tape (pink or yellow) it is a bit hard to install (clean) and remove (clean or dirty), but it will come out with just a breech plug wrench (socket).

(Unfortunately it's made by a company I've had very poor customer service from (Traditions), so I'm not going to waste my time and/or money even contacting them about it. I can predict their response - sent it in so we can inspect it and tell you there's nothing wrong.)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Spike

DROX: I shot some sabots in it, so I thought I would run aborebrush though it. The brush was only crimped to the connector, and came apart in the gun. Tried a hollow rod to capture it but only made things worse, so I took it to a gunsmith, to take apart and remove the brush.