Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
#18 is on it's way!!! >

#18 is on it's way!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#18 is on it's way!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default #18 is on it's way!!!

Another T/C Hawken is on it's way! That will make eighteen ML firearms in my lineup. Nice clean looking percussion .50 and I got it for less than what used Hawken stocks are going for on Ebay. It's an earlier 3-screw tang model so I may consider mounting a tang peep on it and leave it set up that way....BPS
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on finding a nice rifle for a good price. They are getting hard to come by.

In fact I was shooting a new 50 caliber Renegade I picked up very recently, locally, for an excellent price, today. It is in near new condition and for what they wanted, I could not let it go. Even though I did not need it. But it was fun to shoot. It is a percussion model as well, with the double triggers. So it is an older Renegade.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations guys, there's nothing like getting a new muzzle loader.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

congrats nice gun
Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

#18 arrived this week! I'm impressed with the overall condition of this fine older T/C .50 Hawken percussion rifle. There are a few very minor handling marks on the stock (you have to look for them) and the bluing is probably 98%. The bore was clean and bright, and when I ran a patch in & out all it had on it was a kind of an "off color" (not rust) similar to what an oiled patch may look like. The only thing I discovered that needs repair was that the head of one of the butt plate screws was broken off. I pulled the plate off, and it was broken right at the base of the screw head where the angle meets the shank. There is 1/4" or better of the screw still outside the wood so it won't be any problem to get ahold of it when I replace it. I don't know why this may have happened as there is no evidence that a previous owner was one of those "polish happy freaks" that has to remove all the brass and clean it from time to time. All of the guns screws are still very nice and none of them look like they've ever had a screwdriver on them. I called T/C customer service and they're sending me a new butt plate screw at no cost to me. Gotta love those T/C's!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-10-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a bad screw. Odd as it sounds, it does happen...................
Old 02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds you have a heck of a rifle.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put a little bee's wax on that screw when you replace it, it doesn't stain as bad as oil and will help lubricate it so it goes in easier...It's getting harder to find nonplated screws to use in making these guns...I either have to order or sometimes can find at older hardware stores...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
#18 arrived this week! I'm impressed with the overall condition of this fine older T/C .50 Hawken percussion rifle. There are a few very minor handling marks on the stock (you have to look for them) and the bluing is probably 98%. The bore was clean and bright, and when I ran a patch in & out all it had on it was a kind of an "off color" (not rust) similar to what an oiled patch may look like. The only thing I discovered that needs repair was that the head of one of the butt plate screws was broken off. I pulled the plate off, and it was broken right at the base of the screw head where the angle meets the shank. There is 1/4" or better of the screw still outside the wood so it won't be any problem to get ahold of it when I replace it. I don't know why this may have happened as there is no evidence that a previous owner was one of those "polish happy freaks" that has to remove all the brass and clean it from time to time. All of the guns screws are still very nice and none of them look like they've ever had a screwdriver on them. I called T/C customer service and they're sending me a new butt plate screw at no cost to me. Gotta love those T/C's!

BPS
I called T/C on the 10th...opened the mailbox today and there was a package containing 2 BRAND SPIKKEN NEW brass butt screws! Now #18 is once again complete and ready to start belchin' fire and lead! This is the kind of service that has made me a loyal T/C customer since 1973...

BPS
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice find ya old coot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.