Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
grrr someone tryed to break into my work shop. >

grrr someone tryed to break into my work shop.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

grrr someone tryed to break into my work shop.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Corey .. its an unfortunate fact of life that (as my Dad used to say) locks are meant to keep honest people out. You could go with bars on windows, or a security system. More locks only slow them down, but still if they want in.. they get in. Now a fenced in yard with a large dog is a great deterrence. Just make sure your homeowners cover you for dog bite cases. As there are cases where the intruder was bitten and later sued the homeowner. They seldom get much but they can make your legal life miserable.

I know a person that lived in the city and had basically the same problem you have. He took and built a wooden box. The he drilled a small pin hole in the front of it. Right next to the pin hole, he mounted the round end of a cut off plastic glass on the front of the box. It looked like a security camera. He mounted an antenna on the top of the box so it would appear wireless. And inside the box he mounted a night light. He hung that in plain view of the main door. He then put security stickers on the door glass and windows. At night, if you looked in his window, you noticed that night light sending a small beam out through the hole in the box and you could make out the lens on the box. Intruders must have figured it was a security camera. They never broke into his place again.

They also sell a simple alarm. Its an alarm box with a cord. The cord plugs into the side of the box. And as long as that cord is plugged in, all is quiet. But you hook the box to one part of say the wall, and the cord to the door. When the door is opened, it pulls out the cord and this terrible loud alarm screams!!! It also alerts you. It normally scares off intruders. And it is easy to install on the inside of the building, but it does take two door to put that in, as once activated.. you can't use the door either. They work great inside a house as well as an early warning of intruders.

Many years ago when I lived in the city, I had a person try to break into the house. I had safety latches so the window could only open about four inches for ventilation, unless you tripped a very hard to trip latch. Anyway I was working nights and someone came, opened the front living room side window about four inches and then reached in the window to try and figure out why it would not open I guess. No one told him I had a 104 pound muscular Black Labrador retriever in the house.

Needless to say the dog did not appreciate him trying to come in HIS house without my permission. He never got in, but at the hospital it took 23 stitches to close up the wound in his forearm. Seems the dog must have decided to hold on to him and retrieve him for me. I am guessing, he was forced to tear himself free. He denied trying to break in, but my place was left alone after that. The DA decided I did not have enough evidence to charge. Shame he did not make it inside the house, there would have been lots of evidence then. I also had a 130 pound Great Dane at the time. In the house. Although the Dane was a big baby. He would have grabbed him but only in play.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

He may be fat and sleep a lot, he may not be able to out run a baby crawling across the floor, but he can look mean when hes barking at something

And with a food bill of only $20 a month, easily affordable.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have two signs on my basement door (the one to my man cave). First one reads: Trespassers will be shot on sight - Survivors will be shot again. The other reads: If you can read this you're in range.
Also out on the fence I have a "Beware of dog" sign as we have a very protective 100+ lb Labrador retriever.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i want to put an sign up saying just that bronko.

as for my guns, they are in the house. going to look into an safe.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by corey012778
i want to put an sign up saying just that bronko.

as for my guns, they are in the house. going to look into an safe.
You dont need no safe, you just need to get the word out that OL Corey does'nt mess around. I have no safe and my doors are always UN-LOCKED, even though I live in the country everyone knows how I am, they respect me and I them.
When I have to lock my door and worry about someone breaking in it's time to leave, or time to buy more ammo!
I feel for you Corey, you buy a Home and try and start a new life for you and your wife and then you have to deal with scumbags.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 01-24-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
You dont need no safe, you just need to get the word out that OL Corey does'nt mess around. I have no safe and my doors are always UN-LOCKED, even though I live in the country everyone knows how I am, they respect me and I them.
When I have to lock my door and worry about someone breaking in it's time to leave, or time to buy more ammo!
I feel for you Corey, you buy a Home and try and start a new life for you and your wife and then you have to deal with scumbags.
(BP)
Yeah I'm going to need your address BP.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

My great grandmother use to have a sign on her back door that read " this house is protected by a 12 gauge 3 days a week!"
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Spike

Get a security camera and mount it up high on a pole. Mount it IN PLAIN SIGHT. Doesn't have to actually work. Kinda like a scarecrow for birds.

Put a sign on the door - "Smile - You're on Camera"
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have been burglarized twice in the past 20 or so years. The only time I am not armed is when I am in the shower. I hate a damned thief. The all need to be killed off.