HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   trying to decide if I should have my new rifle coated (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/357546-trying-decide-if-i-should-have-my-new-rifle-coated.html)

Dutch 01-22-2012 04:38 PM

trying to decide if I should have my new rifle coated

Gents,

I need to ask for some opinions. I just received my NIB MK85 Hunter blued, wood stock. Needless to say I think it is beautiful. I want to hunt hard with this rifle. However I also would like to keep it looking like new. I am considering having Black Ice coating done to the new Knight. What are your thoughts?

Boonechaser 01-22-2012 04:43 PM

I have had the black ice done on two of my old guns and several buddies have had it done. I highly reccomend it.

Dutch 01-22-2012 04:45 PM

Bonechaser, did they coat the breech plug as well?

cayugad 01-22-2012 05:28 PM

I have never black iced a rifle. I just let them take their chances. But if this is something you feel needs to be done... then only you can decide. Personally I would hunt with the rifle the way it is.

Breechplug 01-22-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3903910)
I have had the black ice done on two of my old guns and several buddies have had it done. I highly reccomend it.

Let's see some Pics Boone.
(BP)

Boonechaser 01-22-2012 06:17 PM

That do not coat the breachplug.

BP that's why I said old guns, I no longer have them. It just looked like a dark blueing but was really slick. Water would bead and just roll off the barrel. I had a remington 1187 done and a old lk93.

mountaineer magic 01-22-2012 06:19 PM

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Breechplug 01-22-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3903936)
That do not coat the breachplug.

BP that's why I said old guns, I no longer have them. It just looked like a dark blueing but was really slick. Water would bead and just roll off the barrel. I had a remington 1187 done and a old lk93.

I guess for a Blued Barrel it would be of some benefit, but how about a SS Barrel? On either of my blued or ss barrels I just wipe em down with a coating of Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner and it seems to do the same thing, I even remember back in the day when I put some good wax on the barrel and that worked. It held long enough befor the next cleaning anyway, then I applied it again. But now that I have nothing but SS Barrels I dont need to do anything to them execpt go hunting.
Even on my Cheap Blued Barrels with nothing on them, if they got wet and started to rust I just wiped em off with some Oil and they were like new again.
Im sure it's a good application but Maintenance after a hunt is all you need to get your barrel back looking like new......dont worry about the Rain, Just Hunt.
(BP)

builder459 01-22-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dutch (Post 3903908)
Gents,

I need to ask for some opinions. I just received my NIB MK85 Hunter blued, wood stock. Needless to say I think it is beautiful. I want to hunt hard with this rifle. However I also would like to keep it looking like new. I am considering having Black Ice coating done to the new Knight. What are your thoughts?

I have several friends that have had it done to the rifles, it holds up well. since it's a NIB rifle, applying a quality synthetic coating inside and out accomplishes the same thing for a lot less money.

liquidorange 01-22-2012 07:35 PM

i have had a bunch of stuff done from LEE at BLACK ICE coatings. awesome work and he will coat your breechplugs if you want. most of my muzzy barrels have been BLACK ICED . its TEFLON. it will wear over time especially any moving parts or sharp edges. on muzzy barrels its pretty tuff stuff and cuts cleaning time way down.