Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Temptations

Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Temptations

Why do I find it so hard to resist a rifle that I do not need and realy don't even want when it is available for $134.97?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...lewk03tsgblack
And with the special offers they want to give me I can get free shipping, a $10.00 off coupon and an extra saving of $13.50 if I join their buyers club. In other words, the cost of joining would be absorbed and I would save another $13.50. That would bring the total cost down to $111.47!

Last edited by pluckit; 01-20-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

It may be tempting but I don't think those electra's are anything you want. I've never heard anyone praising the electra.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live in one of the few states it is legal to use them for deer in and the only one I have seen in person shot with good accuracy with black powder, but they have never caught on will they shoot subs like Blackhorn?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand how you feel because I have been SO VERY TEMPTED to get that stainless steel model. I have talked to a couple of Electra owners. All they talk about is the outstanding accuracy, easy to clean, and how well it works. And with loose powder, the ignition they have claimed is perfect. The trigger is a switch, and they reported are excellent to shoot. The thing that keeps me from purchasing another rifle is.. I have too many rifles now. I have sold a few, and even gave some away to family. But its become almost an obsession with me. And also, in seven years, CVA will no longer carry parts for the rifle (so I was told). That mean if the electronic ignition goes out.. you have a rifle that can not fire.

Honestly, the ones I talked to purchased the cheaper model. And looking at some of their range targets... that Bergara barrel really must be a good barrel. Also if you think.. for that price, what do I really have invested in the rifle? Not a whole lot. It would be fun to shoot on the target range, but no legal in muzzleloader season here in Wisconsin. And I hate to admit it, I am still tempted to buy one, just to shoot.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Banned

Everyone that ive seen that owns the Electra loves the rifle. I saw that too, its very tempting even though i can not use it in my state.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

At that price I know it can be very tempting, but that electronic ignition bothers me. Not that I'm worried that it wont fire when I want it to, what concerns me is the possibility of the damn thing firing when I dont want it to- say when I'm seating a bullet on the powder charge or pushing it down the barrel!!!

I will admit I don't know anything about the electronic ignition system on the Electra. The safety obviously "kills" all power to the ignition system; but I would look at it like this: I would feel very uncomfortable loading my present gun with a live primer installed in the breech plug with the safety on. Isn't that what you are basically doing with the Electra? I just don't trust electrical switches.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

Oh come on Quake! Hike them panty hoses up and try it once!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

The way it was explained/shown to me is... after you turn the electronic ignition on.. it has to charge up. When it is ready a red light will be on. Normally by the time you get the rifle loaded, it is ready to shoot. Even sooner. The trigger is like a switch, so you do need to put the safety on, when you are loading. But we do that all ready. So lets say you shot.. Boom!!

safety on, swab, loading (all this while the ignition is recharging for the next shot), you look and the red light is on meaning it is ready to fire. No digging for primers in the cold, or digging one out... You then take the rifle off safety, and fire. When I was hands on with one at a sporting goods store and he was trying to sell it to me for $385.99 he was showing me how it worked.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are all Bergara barrels stainless steal or do they come in the blued version also. What I am asking is, does the black stock blued barrel version of the Electra have a Bergara barrel?

Last edited by pluckit; 01-21-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Pluckit, the blued barrel version is also a Bergara barrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.