Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic........

Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I am sorry to hear the sad news and sorry for your loss B.P.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know many of us on here have been through this more than once, it's one of the worst things I have ever had to do or go through and I feel for all the others who have been through the same.
My Daughter moved out a couple of years ago and that left Connie, me our dog and a Bird, a cockatiel that my wife got from her mother for a birthday present years ago. I did'nt want a Bird! But as a gift it was here to stay.
Connie works 3-11 so my nights are spent with my dog and the bird. This dang bird ended up being a smart sucker, we'd talk to him and befor long he talked back, he was as smart as I never thought a bird could be. He would even call my dog. So I grew accustomed to the dang little bird and so did my dog, we were 3 at night, my nights were filled with the bird singing songs (and he new the words) and the bird harrassing my dog, he got used to it,,,,,,,a few months ago our Bird Passed. The Big Hunter I am never thought a bird could hold such a place in my heart as he did, but I missed him dearly.....then it was just my Buddy and me at nights, I think he missed the bird to as he always looked up to where his cage used to be. Now my Buddy is gone and it's just going to be me alone at night. So Im still glad I have all of you on here to keep me busy and my mind in a better place.
Now ever since Connie and I have been married (25 years this Aug 27th) we've had a dog, 3. The one befor My Black Lab was a Golden Retriver, he lived untill he was 12 then came my Black Lab Sabbath and he has been with us for the last 10 years. He was a one of a kind Lab, smarter and more handsome than any Lab I ever saw, and he loved us dearly. Connie and I love Dogs, especially Labs but how did all of you move on to another dog, did any of you feel quilty and feel like you were forgetting your best frined and just replacing him with another?
We want to get another one but not just yet, I dont know If I will ever be able to look at another Lab without seeing My Buddy in his face, or if I could give him what he deserves without thinking of my Boy.
Or should I just look at it like Im giving another Lab a great place to live with pleanty of Love and a good life while he's here and just thank GOD I was fortunate to have the one I did and love the next the same. I dont want to replace my Lab, I just want to love another one as I did with the one I just lost......please help me decide, Im so lonely. Im afraid the next one will take me with him when he goes and I know one day that it will happen again.....what should I do?
Im sorry for asking this but I know there's many Dog Lovers on here like me and Im looking for some answers, please help me decide. It's the waking up in the morning without him there to greet me and the rides in my truck and the time spent afield, the love and companionship, it's all gone and Im devestated and heartbroken.
(BP)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

First off I want to say how sorry I am for your loss of a great friend. I know exactly how you feel for I have lost many a good dog through my lifetime. My dad was involved in field trials as a handler and also a judge for many years. Needless to say I had a lab around me since I was a child. I was very sad to see each one go but there was always another one or two to come along after. I remember each and every one and loved them all. You know you'll never be able to replace Sabbath and you would never want to. Your just getting a new friend. When our last lab passed away, we ended up getting a minature dachsund.He is our first small dog and he really loves us and we love him. Go find yourself a new buddy to hang out with when your wifes at work. I think you need that.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard it can be to lose a friend like that.
As for what to do now, I think it depends on the person. I'm the type of guy that has to be occupied all the time. I have to have something to do, sounds, etc or my mind starts to wander real bad. I guess for me I would prefer to have a new puppy to work with than to sit and do nothing. I know it's hard when there's so many similarities in the dogs, but I think once you get started with one it will quickly distinguish itself with it's own personality and quirks.
So that's what I would probably do. It doesn't mean it's the right thing for you, but hopefully it helps some.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A man who loves dogs should have a dog.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a dog for a number of reasons but a good dog is a wonderful friend. And I think labs are some of the most fun, most loyal, and full of great character. A mean lab is a rarity in my experience... in fact I don't recall one. I have enjoyed a lasting friendship with a couple of labs even though they didn't belong to me. Completely different dogonalities but both fine dogs. I was heartbroken when the first of them was killed (car). Her name was Katie and there'll never be another like her.

Sorry for your loss... but don't wait long before getting another.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

BP... I have been where you are now. We put our black lab Maggie down in 2008 after a long and wonderful life (12 years). You and Connie will know when its time to expand the family, theres no set time. As for us it was about a year. Our new Lab Tuco was born Dec 2009.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

BP...First off, I'm sorry for you loss...I just read this for the first time tonight...

Now...My Dad died in 1975, I was 20...There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him...But...I'm glad I had him as long as I did, he got me ready to take care of myself...Within 3 years of Dad dying, I was on my own, living in Atlanta and teaching hydraulics, transmissions, engines and electrical systems for John Deere...

Why do I say this???

Because you said everytime someone died that you knew a piece of you died...After my Dad died, I felt him with me...This was actually the time that I finally started believing in God...

Try to think of your dog in the same way...Sure, it's sad that he is gone but you are much better because he was in your life for many years...He's still with you and will always be with you...

You can't replace him but you should start a new life with another...I knew after my Dad died that he didn't want me moping around feeling sorry for myself and your lab doesn't either...

Go get another....Good luck...
Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

BP, sorry to hear it. Man I was hoping he was on the mend.

I've had to do it several times. Our last one was one of the best labs I ever had. He was a great dog that we got from a rescue league. He was old and grizzled, but awesome for the 4 years we had him. My wife was out of town...and it was just me and the two kids (at that time 4 and 7). My dog had been on the downhill side, and unfortunately got very sick while my wife was gone. We live way out in the country...no one to watch the kids, so I had to take them with me to take my dog to be put down. WOW, what a tough day that was. We all cried, and I had a hard time explaining it to them. But, life goes on. We gave Merlin a great home while we had him, and he knew he was loved. A few mos later we got 2 new lab puppies, a brother and sister. They are now 6, and great dogs also.

I'm sure you treated your dog like gold while he was here...don't fret over getting a new friend when you are ready. Its just another page in life.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your friend!!!

After I had to have my last Lab put down due to mass cell tumors. I swore, I would never have another. I had to take hime to the vet and sit while they put him down, it was the hardest thing, I had ever been thru. That includes my grandparents funerals, I know that sounds bad but, I loved my dog. Probably more than any human other than my son and wife. He was essentially my second kid. I had him cremated and he sits on my mantle beside my favorite picture of him and me.

After about 9months my wife came home with another chocolate lab, She later said she thought it was time. I kept my distance for as long as I could stand (about a week) I just didn't want to get attached. No matter how I tried to push the pup away, He chose me as his human and would keep coming back.

Thats been 6yrs. ago and although I think about my buddy all the time. Bailey has eased the pain of loosing him, I know that more than likely, it will happen again. And I know now after an amount of time, I will adopt a new one. I mean who else will put up with all your BS and be happier than ever to see you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.