Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No Shooting Today!!!  brrrrr >

No Shooting Today!!! brrrrr

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No Shooting Today!!! brrrrr

Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh don't get me wrong. I love shooting in the winter. Just not when it is bitter cold out. 10' on up I'm good to go.

So I went grocery shopping with the wife this morning. She said something along the lines of, Why don't you go shooting and leave me the heck alone?

I guess I'm a bit of a bug when I don't go shooting.

HA
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntAway
Why don't you go shooting and leave me the heck alone?

I guess I'm a bit of a bug when I don't go shooting.

HA
I resemble that too!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well we had a cold front come through so our high was 32 yesterday and 52 today but its supposed to be nice tomarrow in the 60's.
I remember the cold before I moved 700 miles south.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well we had a cold front come through so our high was 32 yesterday and 52 today but its supposed to be nice tomarrow in the 60's.
I remember the cold before I moved 700 miles south.
Another 8 yrs and I might very well join you down there....for the winters at least.

HA
Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it's below forty-five degrees I wouldn't even think of going to the range.

YOU GUYS ARE NUTTIER THAN I AM!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
If it's below forty-five degrees I wouldn't even think of going to the range.

YOU GUYS ARE NUTTIER THAN I AM!
you mean 45 below zero... right?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Rogo
Unfortunately what you are doing is highly illegal here in Vermont. Cannot shoot from in or on a motor vehicle here. Fine and loss of license will result if caught. Makes no difference if it is a hunting season or not.
Our handicap folks can hunt from a vehicle here in Virginia.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I thought you northern tier guys loved the cold? It was about 28 this morning here in Richmond, Va. I am doing grand baby duty and having a ball. Will home tomorrow and then to the range on Wed. Hope it is not too cold to shoot. I don't like it when it gets below 40F. Sorry, I am a wuss!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I thought you northern tier guys loved the cold? It was about 28 this morning here in Richmond, Va. I am doing grand baby duty and having a ball. Will home tomorrow and then to the range on Wed. Hope it is not too cold to shoot. I don't like it when it gets below 40F. Sorry, I am a wuss!!!
Love might be a bit heavy. Embrace yes or maybe that is endure it. I'm like a squirrel. Most of the winter I'm out and playing but when it gets snappy, I head for the nest. We haven't had a square tire morning yet this year. Even the brave hate going out in those temps. I remember an exercise when I was in the military 82' I believe. I was in the habit of bringing a bottle of spirits along for the odd nightcap. That bottle of whiskey almost froze solid. It was slushy with a few liquid ounces at the bottom of the bottle. We were sleeping in tents.....That was cold. They had to med evac a bunch of our Southern bretheren as they froze on the way down after jumping.

28' is just fine shootin temperature.

HA
Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

HuntAway,

I often wished for a little nip for a nightcap in the field. However Uncle Sam frowned on that idea. All we had was chewing tobacco. I should note however that that was not a good night cap. Rather we used it to keep us awake when on an excercise.

I went to the range with the Uncle in Wisconsin once when it was -20. The Browning 50's wouldn't shoot worth a flip; they would fire 2 to 3 rounds and stop. We would clear them and repeat the same process. I understand the Thompson machine gun was the same way in super cold weather. I suspect it had something to do with the fact that the bolt carrier was rectangular in cross section and fit snugly into the square receiver. Our M60's had no such problem on that day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.