Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Question

Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

maybe he did use smokeless powder......thats why he has not responded yet....
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rlpsystems
maybe he did use smokeless powder......thats why he has not responded yet....
I was thinking the same thing
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry i did not respond sooner guys. i dont get on here much with work and my family. I probably should have been clearer...I am using 2f triple 7 in the barrel and 4f black powder in the pan...Sorry. It is not smokeles powder. I was wondering if I should use all black powder. I have a good delay in the fireand was wondering if switching to all black powder would help with that and possibly accuracy...

Thanks Alot, be safe
Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

3 FFF black in the barrel will give better faster ignition.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

While some flintlocks brag that they can shoot sub powders like triple seven, especially pellets, I am not surprised you had delayed fire. Load real black powder. You will find much faster and more positive ignition,

If you want to shoot subs, duplex the load with 20 grains of black powder first.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Spike

I haven't been able to find 4f bp locally, and can't afford to pay the hasmat fees on mail order. So I have been using 3f in the pan of my .54 Cabelas. Works good. If I use Pyrodox in the barrel I have to use 5 or 10 gr. 3f kicker and then 80 gr. of R/S. Otherwise just plain ole 2f. Real bp is not available around here, but found some at a gun show. Not many shows either, so I have to pay attention for them. So far I am not at all satisfied with the shot groups, so have to keep trying. LOL
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

If you can't get FFFFG for the pan, just use FFFG. I have used both, and really don't see a difference. Actually I use FFFG as the main charge also. Think about it, the early settlers, and military did not carry two different powders. One type of powder was all that was needed. This post refers to REAL black powder, not the subs.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mustanger
If you have any rock quarries near by see if they can sell you a pound of flowered blasting powder. I got some many years ago when a quarry went bankrupt and it is the best pan powder I have ever come across. It is very fine high grade black powder that does not have the graphite in it that is put in our black powder to make it pour better.